Misfire 1994 Camry

Assistance needed please to diagnose misfire 1994 4 cylinder Camry (230K km).

Misfire occurs upto about 2,000rpm only, i.e. when under higher rpm's, no misfire noticeable. Generally noticeable if engine is slightly labouring, or if accelerating gently.

Tried so far: Replaced fuel filter Replaced air filter Replaced distributor cap Replaced rotor Replaced plugs (approx 20,000km ago, but should go for 100,000km if last set any indication) Replaced timing belt (approx 20,000 km ago) Ignition leads all measured less than 12,060 ohms (my manual says

Reply to
Andrew LeBreton

Philip

My wires did that, missfire. New wires and I am fine.

Reply to
m Ransley

I did mean spark plug wires and end caps

Reply to
m Ransley

Phillip I have not replaced wires, only the distributor cap. The terminals inside were very worn, and had a piece of insulating buildup on the rotor side of each terminal such that I could not get resistance through the lead to the rotor contact face of the terminal.

I managed to breakaway the buildup, but replaced cap anyway as there was significant wear on terminals.

What do you mean by spark plug caps?

Also, misfire does not occur when engine is cold, only after warmed up to near operating temperature.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew LeBreton

What do you mean by end caps? I assume you mean the part on the wire lead that extends into the top of the engine? On mine the wire and end cap appears to be one piece, and cannot be changed out separately.

Also, misfire does not occur when engine is cold, only after warmed up to near operating temperature.

Reply to
Andrew LeBreton

I had the exact same issue, started fine, ran fine cold, missed on aceleration and warm. New wires fixed it, Just do it, and OEM are best aftermarket fail in 2-4 yrs, and don`t forget the silicone grease on the boot.

Reply to
m Ransley

End caps, a complete wire set , not just wires.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Philip

I see nothing has been said about the plugs which are a very likely cuprit in the symptoms you describe. I would check and/or replace the plugs. Don't rule them out simply because they only have 20,000 km on them.They could very well be bad.. Pull them and check the gap and also look at the color and condition of the plugs. If you have a manual it should have pictures that tell you what the different color and conditions tell you about your engine. It's a good idea to do this between plug changes anyway as it can alert you to possible internal problems.

By the way,what type plugs and number are you running ? Very important to run the rcommended plugs in this engine.

Reply to
Ken Day

Phillip Thanks, problem fixed with new wires/caps. On mine, caps and wires are one piece, and cannot be changed separatelty Regards Andrew

Reply to
Andrew LeBreton

Reply to
Andrew LeBreton