TD5 misfire

I have a slight misfire on a TD5 II, my dealer tells me that they have to replace and have ordered an ECU and wiring loom. All they can tell me is that oil has got into it. Can anyone enlighten me further ?

Reply to
Gary Lewis

This is a known problem, due to an incorrect grommet. The oil runs down the harness and finishes up in the ECU.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Is it a Defender and of what year is the car? "richard.watson" schreef in bericht news:67db7d344c% snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com...

Reply to
Fred Huge

Discovery II 1999,

Reply to
Gary Lewis

Gary,

Sadly this is a known fault for TD5's the plug that connects the inside of engine wiring with the external loom ( located at the front left hand corner of the camshaft rocker cover ) with 5 yellow wires in it, sometimes is not to well sealed and then it leaks oil down the loom and into the ECU! if it gets there then yes sadly you are into another one! if caught quick then it is just unscrew the socket and apply some sealer to it!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
***********************

My dealer are trying to get landrover to pay, if not what sort of cost and why does it give the engine a slight misfire.

Reply to
Gary Lewis

Now that is a new development by Landrover.

In all the old Landrovers oil leaked onto the floor now they have found a new use for the ECU box, not only does it manage the engine, it also catches all the oil leaks as well, and then sends a message when it is full. What a wonderful piece of electronic gadgetry. This must be a first in motoring history.

Cheers

Gord> My dealer are trying to get landrover to pay, if not what sort of cost and

Reply to
Gordon

Injectors on Td5 is electronically controlled ....oil in there causes corruption/shorts that results in a misfire.

Reply to
Aubrey

The TSB number for this 0026 and was released on the 23/8/2000. It details cause and solution, but does state 'IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO RENEW THE ECU'. My local mechanic (ex LR) has said that on many occasion that they had to replace ECU as well.

Currently mine (TD5 1999) is in the dealers with the same problem on the harness as it decided to stall on me whilst playing in a large puddle :-) and wouldn't restart

Mark

Reply to
mm