Not the struts-now what?

OK, you guys have me convinced that it's not the struts that are defective on our '99 LE.

I drove it from cold last night, and even slight imperfections in the pavement make it clunk like crazy.

I saw something in here a while back about strut towers, and a defective part which was once-upon-a-time under warranty and a known problem. What was it? What parts do I need, and how much are they?

Thanks!

Reply to
Dean M

Strut mounts.

Jeff

Reply to
Beans

They are called strut towers or mounts. They cost about $70 each. They were redesigned in 2000, there is a TSB on them. I just had new towers and shocks, mine had clunked slightly since new, recently was really clunking. Now smooth and quiet. If you have low mileage just try the shock tower or towers if it is from both sides and see if that fixes it.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Thank you.

What's > >OK, you guys have me convinced that it's not the struts that are

Reply to
Dean M

Sway bar bushings

Reply to
William W. Plummer

I have a 99XLE with 30k miles, was told clunk and rattle was struts and plates. Are you saying that it could be strut towers or mounts instead?

Reply to
JoeB

"JoeB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

I had the same problem...it sounded like the noise was coming from the glove box...I brought it in and it was the strut mount. Apparently there is a part in there that can go bad. It cost about 100 bucks total to replace one side. I just noticed the other side is making the same noise, so now it's that one's turn.

Reply to
Paul