Octane requirement for V6 00-01 Camry? mpg?

What is the actual octain requirement Toyota specifys? If any V6 owners would care to comment on what type of gas they actually use and actual mileage I would very much appreciate it.

Rick

Reply to
rs

would

On the Camry V6, you can use regular, mid, or premium, and the engine will adjust automatically. Usually premium will yield higher gas mileage on that engine, but that might depend on the weather and how far you are driving. Generally, premium works better under highway speeds in warm weather, or when the engine is operating at high temps. In addition to slightly better mileage, you will get more horsepower.

I tend to use lower octane gas for my V6 on very cold winter days, and higher octane gas on hot days.

Premium does not work better for engines that are NOT designed to use it, like most Toyota 4 cylinder engines.

Reply to
Mark A

I get between 21-24 mpg in mixed driving around town using regular in a 1999 Solara SE V-6 and a Lexus ES-300, the 2004 Camry LE 5 speed/4 cylinder gives me 27-31 in the same service.

ben

would

Reply to
ben

I agree and disagree....

I have an '85 'Rolla GTS and an '85 Celica GTS. I've owned the 'Rolla since 10,000 miles, it now has 259,000 on it.

Mostly I have used is 93 Octane, occasionally using 89 when the 93 got too high (like now). I noticed on the 89 octane I tended to lose 4-5 mpg! I also have a '95 Tercel with a 1.5l; on this car I lose about 7!

Also, since my last 4 Toys have all gone well over 200,000, I think I'll stick with the higher octane...

BTW, my Mom has an '86 Camry (can you tell we like Toyotas?) and all *she* uses is 87 octane. Thing pings like crazy under any kind of a load....

Reply to
HachiRoku

88 Camry, 4 cylinder, 301,000 miles ; all on 87 octane until moving to Colorado; 85 octane since then. Friend has a 92 Camry with 214,000 miles; all on 85 octane. No pinging on either.

It is certainly your money and it doesn't matter to me what fuel you use, but if your manual does does not call for premium fuel, you are simply throwing away money at the pump:

Check out two articles (one written for USA Today and one by FTC)

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton

My '86 pings like crazy with *91* octane. 180K miles. All the standard tune up stuff done, including new O2 sensor, 1 range colder spark plugs, verify EGR is working, check for vacuum leaks. Any clues as to what might be causing the pinging?

TIA Joseph

Reply to
Joseph