OT - Making the most of it

So I'm sitting around in my shop the other day after all the work was done just wasting time with my co workers telling stories and such. One of the guys here got the rare opportunity to go for a ride in an F-16 (the airframe we work) as an incentive earlier this year for a job well done. He was telling tales of 7g banks through the canyons outside of Nellis AFB NV (couldn't pull 9 because of a sniper pod and fuel tanks), split esses, Immelmans, and barrel rolls. He was on a roll telling his story until someone interupted him - "I think Jay over there can put your story to shame.." A few of us are new here at this shop and just getting to know one another, so none of us had heard Jays tale yet. A few years ago, he was graced with an incentive ride for earning NCO of the quarter among several other awards. He was awarded a ride, and after passing a flight physical and attending a few briefings (including getting your will up to date) the day arrived and he was all gussied up in his G suit ready to go. The pilot briefed him on the plan; take off, get acclimated, burn off some fuel and get over the range where he can stretch it out and show him what an unladen F-16 can do. They taxied on down, got clearance, and off they went into the wild blue yonder (...anyone?). About 30 minutes into the ride, Jay said he couldn't help but notice what felt like a gigantic explosion from the rear of the plane, accompanied by a myriad of warning lights and Bitching Betty explaining calmly that they were in real trouble. For those of you that don't know Bitching Betty, she is the soothing female computer voice that comes on the headset and gently reminds you of such conditions as "terrain warning", "warning; hydraulic pressure", and the favorite "altitude, altitude". As the pilot contacted the tower to explain the condition, Jay also said that he couldn't help but hear the familiar sound of a turbine engine spooling down. Now this is trouble for an F-16, because it has only one engine and a glide slope of a Corolla. He also heard the the pilot tell the tower something to the effect of "I have no control surfaces". So there he is, 17k ft up, motoring along a touch under 350 knots, on fire, spewing hydraulic fluid with no means to control the machine you're strapped to. And all because you did a bang up job at your shop. Well, the pilot comes on and explains that it's serious (really?) and "we have to go". He reminded Jay to keep his knees together and arms tucked tight against his abdomen. As explained on the ground he would say the magic word three times, and if Jay wasn't already gone by then, he would initiate the sequence for both of them (the front seat handle will blow the canopy and pop the rear seat first, then the front). "You ready Jay?" "Yes sir" "Eject eject ej-" Jay said he kind of blacked out from the 15 or so gs he got when the catapult cleared the cockpit and the under seat rocket fired, but when he came to (about 1/4 inch shorter) he was drifting gently to earth, survival kit dangling from his harness, as the plane he was just on smacked Nevada.

So I guess that when you look at the two, the story about ejecting from a fighter plane is more intense than merely riding in one and then using the built in tires to contact the earth. But man. What a story.

Reply to
qslim

Thanks, qslim, for the story, the work you do, AND for making me sleep well at night !

I did my time at Edwards AFB back in the late 70's/early 80's.....the AF put me through school, and I paid 'em back....lifer status wasn't for me, though....I was one of those ground-pounder officers who had no chance of getting ahead because the pilots hogged up the good slots ! We spent more time making sure the general's wife's toilet was unclogged in their base housing , and that the slab that might have holes in it was patched up so the glory boys could put those multi-million $$ airframes back on the ground so you could fix 'em

EAFB was an interesting place....the Eagle was in follow-on testing; the Falcon was the big dog for testing/support, and there was something going on that nobody would discuss....in hindsight, I think it was the Nighthawk/F-117....man, that makes me feel old !

I DID manage to see the very first Space Shuttle return from space, though....very cool !

Thanks again, for the work you and your coworkers do !

Oh....so I'm not too far OT....my '94 Camry still runs like a champ (looks like shit, though), except for that weird droning noise at about

40 MPH ! Wheel bearings ? Bad/cheap tires ? Who knows....

Dean....

qslim wrote:

Reply to
D Larsen

If one were ever tempted to take a shortcut in his job (and I am sure this is NOT the case) , this experience would certainly change his work ethic forever, I'll bet.

Reply to
<HLS

I knew what was coming...used to work on the fuel controls when I was at Hamilton Standard. Yup...one burner only!

Did I tell you the time a pilot THANKED me for working at the place that produced the EEC? Said, No Worries! Ram the throttle ful and let the EEC do all the work!

And, I remember reading something someone sent me a bout a Sports writer who was treated to a ride.

"What do I eat beforehand?" "Bananas" "Because they're easy one your stomach?" "No, because they taste about the same coming up as they did going down..."

Reply to
Hachiroku

You're spot on about the bananas. One of the pilots here told me the same thing, he said dry corn pops will do the trick too.

Reply to
qslim