Overcoming a scored crankshaft damaged by rear seal

Soon I'll need a new clutch, and as the old one has oil fouling it, I just know the rear crankshaft seal will be rock-hard from oil-change abuse (former owner) and will have worn a nice groove into the crank's boss.

In the past I've found you can get over these sort of problems by either tapping the seal in a little further (if there is room for this to occur) or conversely not installing it to full depth. The reasoning here is, the 'new' position will cause the new seal lips to run on a smooth part of the crank-boss with the groove positioned between the seal lips..

Has anyone tried this with a 5SFE?

Tks,..Jason

Reply to
Jason James