Smokin 93 Camry 3VFZE

My girldfriends 93 Camry LE Station Wagon is 'lightly smokin' from under the hood (not exhaust). (3VFZE V6 140K) Immediately it was obvious both Valve covers where leaking and she also needed her right CV Joint replaced. So to get to the point, I cleaned the engine compartment with some degreaser and carefull use of a pressure washer, replaced the right CV Joint and Replaced the valve cover gaskets, (the rear valve cover gasket was a complete pain in the ass, a little slack in the rear wiring harness would have helped alot) Results: Both valve covers appear to be sealed fine (very hard to see rear cover but looks ok.) I am still seeing a small amount of smoke from underhood within 15 seconds or so after engine is started (Comes up lightly from front side of motor first and then heavier from back side), right side of motor was very oily (her right inner and outer cv covers where ripped so at first I thought it was grease and dirt everywhere) I am guessing oil pump seal may be shot also. I would think that I should see oil dripping onto ground if its leaking bad enough to cause smoke by dripping onto exhaust. But only a very little amount of oil dripping to ground and it smokes to soon to be dripping oil burning on hot exhuast, at least I think so.

I dont have a lift so seeing underneath is difficult with only ramps.

Anyone have any thoughts on what else to look for or check that would cause smoke to emit from engine compartment (smells like burning oil or power steering fluid)?

Anyone out there have a simlar problem with there V6 Camry? Would a clogged catalytic converter cause same problem?

ANy suggestions would be appreciated. THanks

TekGuy

Reply to
tekguy4

Agree that you have a fairly bad oil-leak onto the exhaust,..most likely the rear manifold or its engine pipe. Trouble with oil-leaks is, they can run a fair distance along a ridge on the engine before finally dropping to the ground (or onto the exhaust).

Sometimes built up grease can take a long while to burn-off, or things like a plastic bag caught on the exhaust can burn-generate smoke for quite a while, although the smell is very different to oil burning.

You need to get the car up high enough to be able to visually inspect while the smoke is there. Ramps, if they are high enough and don't foul on the suspension, are a good idea for this.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James