Paint?

My new 05 Camry XLE was rear-ended and the rear-bumper cover needs to be replaced. I took it to the dealer and they told me they are going to get a black OEM rear-bumper and paint it to my car's color (silver) in their body shop. I thought the outside body color of a car was somehow "deposited" onto the body parts in the factory through some type of special manufacturing process. Does that sound right? Is the dealer trying to short-change me on this?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
XYZ ABC

It is paint with an additive so it wont crack, why go to the dealer, they are always higher in price. Get bids.

Reply to
m Ransley

So what they are going to do in their shop (painting?) would be the same as what they did in the factory?

Someone else is paying it. Besides, I don't want to void warranty for a new car.

ZR

Reply to
XYZ ABC

I had the same thing with my Matrix. The texture on the bumper took a lot of work at the body shop. A VERY MINOR accident ended up costing $1400 to fix, most of it paint time.

Mark

XYZ ABC wrote:

"deposited" onto

manufacturing

Reply to
Mark

XYZ ABC wrote: || My new 05 Camry XLE was rear-ended and the rear-bumper cover needs || to be replaced. I took it to the dealer and they told me they are || going to get a black OEM rear-bumper and paint it to my car's color || (silver) in their body shop. I thought the outside body color of a || car was somehow "deposited" onto the body parts in the factory || through some type of special manufacturing process. Does that sound || right? Is the dealer trying to short-change me on this? || || Thanks for your help! || || -- || ZR

My WHITE Camry has black undercoat, black (underneath) bumper cover. So, everytime there is so much as a TINY nick in the paint, the BLACK underneath stands out real uglylike. WHY can't they use a LIGHTER undercoast for lighter coloured vehicles!!!!!???????????????

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

I'm with m Ransley. What they'd do at the paint shop is the same as they do at the factory.

If it's an insurance job, or someone is paying for damage they did, you'll need multiple estimates anyway. At least that way you'll get a few opinions and input from different sources.

Reply to
Hopkins

And unless you go to Fly By Night Paint Shop there shouldn't be any warranty issues. Dealers aren't the only ones with reputable paint shops.

Reply to
Hopkins

Void warranty ? You don`t know much.

Reply to
m Ransley

Not sure where you're going with that, Ransley.

Reply to
Hopkins

I think you'll find that all plastic bumpers are black or charcoal clear thru. On a light car they are usually primed in light grey primer. If the clear and color coat are scratched surely the primer would be too --- hence the black showing thru. Factory paint jobs are typically more durable than refinishes -- they use heat lamps to decrease drying time and make the paint harder. Some people think they can buy a factory painted bumper bur you can't --- you can however buy factory painted rear view mirrors.

"Liberal|sarl|airs| !|"

Reply to
Wolfgang

XYZ thinks he could possibly void the warranty by having someone else put on a new bumper and paint, that isnt so.

Reply to
m Ransley

OEM bumper covers for a particular model are all the same color, usually black but grey in some cases, like the Previa. When a body shop paints a bumper cover, they add a flex agent to the paint so that it won't crack so easily so what your dealer's body shop is telling you is correct. By the way, you should always demand OEM parts for body repairs as their quality is usually better than aftermarket.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi there,

sorry to hear that your new car was damaged. We went through a similar case with our Sienna. As long as the work is done by a Toyota dealer or by a body shop that is recommended by a Toyota dealer, you don't need to worry. You might see a very slight variation in the cost estimates, but it's really neglectable. The estimates are made using a software program that simulates the required work and puts a cost on each task. (This is the case in all three Toyota body shops I have visited)

Good luck

Reply to
Me_and_You

you are not required to get multiple estimates for repairs to your vehicle if insurance is paying it. they may/will send an adjuster out to verify damages and they will discuss w/ the body shop pricing on repairs. you as the insured have every right to go to any autobody shop you please for your repairs and don't be bullied into going to a "preferred" shop "recommended" by any ins. co.

mike............

Reply to
JerseyMike

On a plastic bumper cover, use of a flex additive is more important that hardness.

A good body shop can do as well as the factory can.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Thanks for all the replies. I got an estimate of $700 from a Toyota dealer. It sounds not bad for me. Besides, they say the cover will have a life time warranty, which is better than the rest of the car.

The guy who bumped my car says he is going to pay me for the repair and he does not want me to call his insurance company (for fear of rates hike). I suspect he does not have inssuance. The cop did not ask him for insurance card and he just told the cop it's 1-800-safeauto. But he told me (before the cop came) he doesn't have one for the car he was driving. The cop didn't even give him a ticket.

I haven't got the payment yet. But the guy looks honest and I hope I can get the payment. My insurance does cover it. But I'm carrying $1000 deductible. So I don't want to risk a rate hike for nothing. I may end up paying this myself.

Reply to
XYZ ABC

Take the estimate to him and ask for payment.

You do not have to fix the car before requesting the money. Even if you choose to not fix the damage, your car has been reduced in value by the amount of damage.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

deductible.

i don't know where you live, but make sure you get payment first and then cash the check. i would also tell him before he writes the check that if his check bounces, you're going to the police and reporting him. make sure you get his DL# and address and phone # as well as his plate # on the car and VIN#. cover your ass and make sure you have no outta pocket expenses, especially if you need to rent a car for the time it will be int he shop.

Reply to
JerseyMike

Estimates vary alot 700 for a bumper is to high I just paid 450 for oem.

Contact him for payment if he refuses tell him you will inform the state, and the police of the accident insurance issue, in my state his lisence would be revoked. Then threaten or file in small claims. He is a deadbeat if he cant afford liability.And liable and driving illegaly

Reply to
m Ransley

Exactly what I was thinking. Gotta use a Felx agent, or the paint will crack and peel from normal driving over the course of a year...

Reply to
hachiroku