Touch up paint

Where can I get touch up paint (other than dealer)?

Reply to
93 Fox

I have bought paint from

It was a veryclose color match unlike the "Plasti-Kote" I got at the local auto partsstore.

93 Fox wrote:
Reply to
Randolph

A good body shop that has somebody that can *match* paint can mix you up a batch if the color has to be spot-on, it won't be cheap, tho.

--TW They charge me to prepare the paint, they charge me to blend onto other panels. What the hell ever happened to skill?

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

Why don't you want to get it from the dealer?

Some autoparts stores or departments carry touch up paints. In my experience they work fine for many cars, but don't do as well as the dealer stuff, especially for newer cars.

Paints have become more complex and the general supplies often make compromises so fewer colors will work for more cars. The newer the car the more likely this is to happen. The dealer generally has the best batch.

As cars age, the paint ages. It is no longer possible to match as well. Not all cars will age at the same rate and the problems multiply.

A really good independent auto paint artist can do a great job of matching paint on your car. They may start with the original formula, but will take into account the current condition of your car. The paint likely will not match an older car when it first is applied, but as it ages over a few months, will match much better.

Back to my first question. If you are avoiding the dealer touchup paint to save money, you may find that you spend a lot of effort trying to find a second rate replacement.

Of course if you want enough paint to do more than touchup and want to paint a panel, then you need to find that independent auto paint artist to match YOUR car. I might add that will cost a bit more than the match the independent tech may change for paint based just on the make model and color and while their paint may not match quite as good, it should be acceptable.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Last check the dealers goes for under $10 USA bucks!

Reply to
Woodchuck

For a dark blue 99 passat I paid $6.80 for the paint and the clear coat. By going for the close match, you safe $2 and lower your car's value by $250.

Reply to
Baudolino