Problem with Engine Noise - Ateva in Australia

I have a new Toyota Ateva, built 2004, V6 3litre motor. Great vehicle, the same motor is used in models in the US, but under different name. Problem is a noise I originally thought to be 'pinging' (pre-ignition) but I have been told is not, but rather a noise caused by the exhaust gases striking somewhere in the manifold/flexi coupling/exhaust pipe. Noise is best described as a 'ringing, tingling' sound when ever acceleration occurs, either lightly, heavy acceleration, either on the flat up or down hills. The noise is very noticeable with the drivers window down. Only time its not present is when the vehicle is coasting. I cant believe that it is a 'common fault' as I have been told and was wondering if anyone can offer any advise to me on what it definately is and / or how to rectify it. Please reply to snipped-for-privacy@acay.com.au Appreciate any assistance Phill

Reply to
pwilliams

I encountered the same "characteristic" when I bought a new 2003 Corolla. Not an exhaust leak, not spark knock. The "problem" turned out to be ... a bit of me and a bit of the car. My previous car had a cast iron manifold that faced the radiator (net ... quiet). Secondly, the new Corolla has a thin welded steel exhaust header that faces the passenger compartment. What do you get? Exhaust crackle the becomes more and more evident and the throttle is further depressed. Take heart ... as the miles accumulate, the exhaust sound diminishes quite a bit. Currently, I've got 40k miles on the Corolla.

--

-Philip

pwilliams wrote:

Reply to
Philip

What

the

the

Aye,.....as anyone with steel headers/extractors (especially V8s on both sides of engine) will atest,..its a horrible noise bouncing off the walls of a narrow bridge.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James