Jetta 96' strange Noise problem, please help!

Hi there,

My 96 Jetta GL developed a strange problem recently. Whenever there are more than two passengers (driver included) in the car, I will hear a loud noise at the bottom of the front seats. It is especially obvious whenever I make a turn. This problem will get away when the car has been driven for like 10 minutes, i.e., the parts have been warmed up. Because of this, I sort of think it is a lubricant problem with the transmission. It is true that I have not checked the transmission fluid level for a year, thus it might be low. Before changing the ATF, I would like to hear your opinion on this to see if there are any suggestions. Thanks!

Regards, Doug

Reply to
Douglas Dou

exhaust hitting something? Or it's shields? engine or trans mounts failing? check the half shafts to make sure they are not hitting something. Look for signs of rubbing/hitting! check wheel bearings for play. later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

hey.........I have a 96 VW jetta GL i need help here! I 've bought an air intake sensor! question 1..... how can restart/jump the sensor after i install i

question 2......what can i put or install to cool down m

engine(inside) front part of the car? cold intake From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
monchichi1437

This is just a follow-up of my previous message...

I went to a mechanic. He did a test drive. Well, he sit in the front passenger seat and I drove the car. After hearing the noise, he claimed it is because of the bad muffler and exhaust pipe, and quoted me 400 bucks. I then went to another mechanic who I used to visit when I was living in my old apartment. He did a test drive himself, then lifted the car. After sometime he came back to me and told me it is the problem of a bad trans. He believed that there was a leak somewhere in the trans. As a result, the gears kinda got bad, just as I had thought before. He suggested me not to fix the problem, since it is just not worth the money to get the trans rebuilt. I am on a very tight budget right now and it would be tough for me to afford a new car.

Although i certainly trust this guy, I still would like to seek a third (fourth...) opinion about what it could be. I mean, two mechanics gave me different stories. Though I tend to believe it is because of the trans, I'd really hope someone tells me , nah, it is just the muffler...

Thanks again!

Reply to
Douglas Dou

FYI . . . I had a very similar sounding problem right after I purchased used 96 Jetta GL. I swore it was coming from somewhere behind the shift console. This is what the local dealer found . . .

"Took the vehicle on a test drive and found that there was a vibration. Brought car back and checked the transmission and then put the car in the air. I found that the mid muffler was hitting the cross member causing a vibration. Adjusted the muffler and then test drove again. Vibration is gone."

Hope its something like this and not the transmission . . .

- mike w.

Reply to
Mike W

Thanks for everyone who responded me. I just went to a third mechanic. So I'd follow up my story with what I got from him...

This time I went to a local Meineke. Was told that Meineke specializes on exhaust. The mechanic drove the car a bit in the parking lot and lifted the car in the air. He then told me that two screws under the car was hitting a cross bar when the car is running, just like Mike suggested. He melt-cut the screws and told me the noise would be gone.

It did not. But the noise pattern somehow changed. Before the screws were cut, I could hear the grinding noise whenever I hit the acceleration pad. Now, I wont hear it until the car becomes warm. I am amazed by how a car can perform under different circumstances, really!

I still do not know where the problem really is. I mean, three mechanics, three different stories. Fantastic! Maybe I should hit a dealer? After calling several dealers, I was told I have to wait for at least 2 weeks for an appointment...

Anyway, this is my story. Will keep updating!

Best, Doug

Reply to
Douglas Dou