R12-R134a

I know someone who has been putting in R134a in R 12 systems for 7 years, he said there are no compatibility issues it is marketing to get you to evacuate your system and use more R134a. He said it does no harm and has not on at least 10 cars he has done, even his.. Do I believe this guy and let him put in 134a without evacuating out the old R12, is it possible it is stated to evacuate just to sell more 134a.

Reply to
m Ransley

Travis Jordan

Informative link.

Reply to
Daniel

Nope. Don't let him do it. The older lubricant is not compatible with 134a, nor some of the elastomeric seals.

I would guess that this guy is not registered to work with R12, and probably doesn't even have the required tools to remove R12, perform the flush, install the seals, and make the proper conversion to R134A.

R12 is still available. None of the local mechanics here work with it, but some of them use Freeze 12. The locals claim very good results, however not all resources are high on Freeze 12.

I intend to convert my 90 Reatta to R134a soon. I am researching it well before I start, using the old saw ' measure twice, cut once'.

Reply to
<HLS

Their is NO direct R12 drop in freon. R12 & R134 are NOT compatable & require different oils. Unless the system needs a new compressor I would look for someone that has R12 to fix it. The R12 will be expensive but still cheaper than a conversion

Reply to
sqdancerLynn