Picked up a 2006 Solara SE 5-spd

Finally bit the bullet, had a tough time finding the elusive 5-spd but I landed a silver (they call it Lunar Mist..)SE and traded in my '96 camry coupe w/ 255,00 miles. Visability issues are remedied by adjusting the seats and steering wheel. Put around 500 miles and lovin' every minute of it. A true blast to drive with the stick. Kinda miss my Camry.. Is it wrong to feel a bond between an inanimate object such as a car that one owned for 8 years 255,000 miles and very little downtime? :)..Keep in mind I'm forty-something..

Reply to
steve-o

Never love something that cannot love back.

Reply to
Art

Yeeha! Good to see others still enjoy driving a 5-spd (manual). Were you able to find it or did another dealership do a locate for you? Was it a good deal on the 5-spd?

Enjoy the new ride!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Boy, are you asking the wrong question!

I still have my '85 Hachiroku (Corolla GTS twin cam...) and an '85 Celica. The Celica will go if I can find someone to buy the engine, but the Corolla will get restored probably next year. Best car I ever owned; I do have an emotional attachment to it, and it is also a bit of a collector's item (they are still very popular). Just can't bear to sell it off...

I believe the older Toyotas especially had a 'personality', and that each model's personality was different. I like the 'personality' of my Corolla.

Reply to
Hachiroku

It was on the lot. the Dealers I contacted couldn't locate and told me that none where built in APR or MAY.. I paid 20k including the platinum

-0 deductible warranty. I gave up the camry with the deal. It kept going back and forth till I got up to leave and struck the deal. So I did good. Ive been looking for a while now and I notice that they are not flying out the door except for the convertible.. I test drove accura, infiniti, accord coupe, both 4 and 6 cyl, civic. Just didn't match the comfort/drive fit and finish of the Solara.

Reply to
steve-o

Yeah, some dealers are more willing to locate than others. I imagine the

5-speed definately would not be flying out the door. Fewer people know, or are learning how to drive a manual nowadays. Newer shifting without the clutch is not the same.

Often the dealers would rather strike a deal and make a small profit vs. no profit. Situation would not be the same if the particular model was selling really well.

Other cars you mentioned are excellent brands but the ride/comfort are tuned differently. My guess is the other cars were a bit stiffer and less smooth than the Camry.

Happy motoring!

Reply to
Dave L

========================= Since you've got the SE (sport) model with manual transmission, thought you might like to see these comments which I found very helpful to increase cornering control and improve handling plus general driving enjoyment overall (not my words):

=================================== If weight transfer did not occur, traction would always be consistent, and the car would be easy to drive quickly. Since weight transfer is unavoidable, the next best thing is to cause the weight to transfer as predictably as possible. This is done by driving smoothly. When you apply the brakes, don't slam them on, progressively squeeze them on. Squeeze into and out of the throttle. Turn the steering wheel gently, and try to make only one turn of the wheel to achieve the arc you want through the corner. As you accelerate out of the corner, unwind the wheel as you squeeze on the throttle.

TRANSITIONS

The above does not mean that you do not use the brakes, the gas, or the cornering ability of the car to their limits. It means you transition between them gently, with touch, and in a way that minimizes how they upset the car. In order to go really fast It is essential to first become smooth and consistent in your handling of the car.

Reply to
Daniel

How much was it and how bout ur trade in price.

congratz

------------------------ My Carmy

skewe

I would like to know more about this warranty. Many of them are not worth the paper they are written on. They seem to promise everything, but when they are needed, the insurer finds a catch clause that allows them to avoid responsibility.

Will do a web search.

Reply to
<HLS

Check out Toyota's Extra Care extended service contract - they do not have nearly as many loopholes as the aftermarket ones do.

Reply to
Ray O

I will check out the Toyota EC warranty. Usually, the manufacturer does not back these warranties. They are underwritten by other companies.

(I am caught between buying a Passat and a Camry. I like the former, but it does not have the reliability concensus that the Camry has. An extended warranty - at least one that is not a scam - could add a bit of security to my decision)

In this case, I found the Platinum zero deductible warranty on the internet. I also found a lot of complaints about it.

I would recommend that the OP do a websearch on this policy. Maybe it will help him avoid some of the more obvious blunders.

Reply to
<HLS

On the warranty.. - Toyota Extra Care - I had this on my '96 coupe ans ewas never denied a claim or even hastled. The impotance of the 0 deductible is aside from the money.. the dealer does not have to get authorization befoer starting work. Toyota Extra care is NOT A SCAM. This is why I insisted on a price for the car AND the warranty. The platinum 0 -deductible. Although the retail price is 1350. Dealers have room with these. I wouldn't buy the car without the coverage the warranty provides, Hope this helps. I thought I mentioned the cost was 20k w/ the warranty, and I gave them my 255,00 mile camry. Driving ita week now and I am not dissapointed. THE NEW 2007 SOLARA is now viewable on Toyota's CA website. Check it out...

steve-o

Please show me, I can't find complaints. My dad just had his transmission replaced on his 2006 camry..NO hastles. over 45,000 miles.

Reply to
steve-o

I searched the web. Can't find those complaints you speak of. By the way its called Extra-Care as Ray-O mentioned. The 3rd party warranties I would not consider. After 3 Toyota and 3 warranties I have never been diappointed that I purchased the warranty. When I bought the '96 camry it had 10k on it after 45k it needed a throttle body, no problem. At

80k the timing belt went, they covered it and replaced the water pump as well.. ON another note - solaraguy.org, toyotanation.com, tundrasolutions.com, these are all Toyota specifc sites with tons of info. If you are buying a new car GET THE MANUFACTURERS EXTENDED WARRANTY.
Reply to
steve-o

Thanks! - %-spds don't last long, they make very few. They had an '07 Camry 5-spd in black, it lasted all but 3 days on teh lot..

Reply to
steve-o

Thanks! - 5-spds don't last long, they make very few. They had an '07 Camry 5-spd in black, it lasted all but 3 days on the lot..

Reply to
steve-o

Toyota's Extra Care Extended Service Contract is underwritten by Toyota Motor Insurance Services, a wholly owned subsidiary of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.

I am not a big believer in extended service contracts in general, but if someone wants one, I recommend getting one that is underwritten by the automaker. Some import manufacturer branded extended service contracts are underwritten by a 3rd party insurer. Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Toyota underwrite their own.

Reply to
Ray O

Somebody should have told this to my first wife when she was learning to drive. She had a Nissan (I broke her of THAT habit FAST!) and I think she thought Gas was ON and Brake was OFF. In Downtown Hartford! EEEEGADS!!!

Definitely a case of DWO!!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

WOW! I know they make very few but the reason being they don't sell as well. Personally I drive an '05 Accord manual tranny. Some dealerships didn't even have a 5-spd manual but the one I went to happened to have 3. Go figure.

Reply to
Dave L

Just google Platinum 0 deductible warranty and you should find some hits. I assume EC is not the same as Platinum 0.

is another site where I found some warranty issues related to Platinum.

Apparently the $1350 is negotiable. One of the complainers mentioned getting his at a discount.

This is all good to know, at any rate. Some of these warranties are scams. It is a relief that, perhaps, not all of them are.

Reply to
<HLS