Re: brake problems??? 2003 camry

miles.
or
Disc brake squeal is fairly common but not in a new car. Take it back. There maybe a need to examine the pads for grit or missing anti-squeal shims.
Jason
I have had a 2001 Camry LE for the past 3 years 35000 miles and the brakes have squeaked for the entire time,(its hard brake linings, it nerve racking but nothing wrong with the function of the brakes,good luck. Ray

miles.
or
NY-in-VA wrote:

I have a 2002 Camry LE that squeaks also. When the breaks have had a bit of a workout from descending a long hill or just riding a lot in hot weather, they get a very light high pitched squeak. The dealer checked the brakes and cleaned them out. Pretty soon, they started doing it again. The dealer says that you have to expect this with asbestos-free pads. I'm not so sure about that. The breaks stop just fine.
Does anyone have any experience actually fixing this?
--
Allan
Remove ".excess" from address for direct replies.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

As I was told by a Magna engineer, ALL disc brakes squeal ALL the time. Has to do with the way the pads and rotor vibrate when subject to friction, heat, pressure, dust, corrosion and moisture. The trick is to make them squeal above the range of normal hearing, which is one thing the factory works so hard to do.
Those little sheet-steel things on the backs of the pads are part of that factory effort. Amazing how many people throw them away.
--
TeGGeR

Maybe dogs can hear my brake pads squeak, but none seem to be bothered.
Tegger wrote:

You are wrong, cars equipped with disc brakes can be very quiet. Listen to cars braking (except in your neighborhood).
Cheap pad formulation among others is a source of noise complaints. Good caliper design, improved pad material, slotting, beveling and shims eliminate brake squeak. And I am not talking about squeaks caused by poor installation and rotor machining.
MDT Tech wrote:

John wrote:

No I'm not, you are. Sure brakes are quiet, I've never had a disc brake squeak, but many people have with all the correct gear. Swapping some parts can help at times. Aftermerket pads are the worst and leaving the shims out is a bad idea.

Me neither.
DFisc brake squeak will be around longer after were both dead John.
--

Hey, do you smell that? Smells like something died?
Is it dogshit on the bottom of your feet?