Re: brake problems??? 2003 camry

I have a 2003 camry le with ABS front disc-back drum brakes and 1200 miles.

> recently they started squeaking when I'm reducing speed. is this normal or > should i go to the dealer and have them check the brakes. Please advise. > Thank you.

Disc brake squeal is fairly common but not in a new car. Take it back. There maybe a need to examine the pads for grit or missing anti-squeal shims.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Floyd R Cudd

I have a 2002 Camry LE that squeaks also. When the breaks have had a bit of a workout from descending a long hill or just riding a lot in hot weather, they get a very light high pitched squeak. The dealer checked the brakes and cleaned them out. Pretty soon, they started doing it again. The dealer says that you have to expect this with asbestos-free pads. I'm not so sure about that. The breaks stop just fine.

Does anyone have any experience actually fixing this?

Reply to
aa.woods.excess

Depending on your dealer, I first had the pads cleaned a couple of years ago, but on the second time they replaced them. The pad specification changes all the time, so talk to your service manager nicely and you may get free pads.

No, they are not supposed to squeak. They should come up with better excuses than that.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
John

MDT Tech® floridly penned in news: snipped-for-privacy@repairman.com:

As I was told by a Magna engineer, ALL disc brakes squeal ALL the time. Has to do with the way the pads and rotor vibrate when subject to friction, heat, pressure, dust, corrosion and moisture. The trick is to make them squeal above the range of normal hearing, which is one thing the factory works so hard to do.

Those little sheet-steel things on the backs of the pads are part of that factory effort. Amazing how many people throw them away.

Reply to
Tegger®

Maybe dogs can hear my brake pads squeak, but none seem to be bothered.

Tegger® wrote:

Reply to
Andrew

You are wrong, cars equipped with disc brakes can be very quiet. Listen to cars braking (except in your neighborhood).

Cheap pad formulation among others is a source of noise complaints. Good caliper design, improved pad material, slotting, beveling and shims eliminate brake squeak. And I am not talking about squeaks caused by poor installation and rotor machining.

MDT Tech® wrote:

Reply to
John

No I'm not, you are. Sure brakes are quiet, I've never had a disc brake squeak, but many people have with all the correct gear. Swapping some parts can help at times. Aftermerket pads are the worst and leaving the shims out is a bad idea.

Me neither.

DFisc brake squeak will be around longer after were both dead John.

Reply to
MDT Tech®