Re: EGR problem

Some suggestions from an old thread, FWIW:

Throttle body: ============== Air blown into the hoses from the modulator's Ports P and R into the throttle body should flow freely into the throttle body.

To be tested: =============

Test 1 -- To rule out VSV as the problem. Test 2 -- Whether the EGR modulator is indeed the culprit.

Step 1 for VSV:

1A. Disconnect hoses from Port Q at the modulator and at the EGR valve. This leaves VSV with two long hoses to test. Mark them so you can put them back in the right places.

1B. With the engine cold, stopped and ignition ON, Port Q hose leading to the VSV should hold vacuum, use about 15". And blowing through the EGR valve end of the hose you will hear air coming out of the VSV filter, which will help you locate it as well.

1C. With the engine warm and at 2500 rpm, Port Q end of the hose should loose its vacuum automatically as VSV is opened. This means the Port Q hose now opens all the way to the EGR valve end of the hose.

This confirms VSV and its control circuit is working; otherwise the VSV or the vacuum hoses leading VSV to are leaking or VSV is not energized. Verify proper electrical connection to VSV. Clean or change the VSV and hoses.

Step 2 for VSV while also checking out modulator:

2A. Now your engine is warm in diagnostics mode from Method 1, tee Port R of the modulator to the MAP hose (getting full engine vacuum now).

2B. At 2500 rpm, you should measure about 13" at Port Q of the modulator.

If the numbers are the same at Port Q of the modulator and at the EGR end of the hose, then VSV is working.

But if Port Q of the modulator shows a higher vacuum than at the EGR valve, then the VSV or the vacuum hoses leading to VSV are leaking. Clean or change the VSV and hoses. In this case of higher vacuum at Port Q, a direct hose from Port Q to the EGR valve should cause the engine to run rough in the diagnostics mode at 2500 rpm. If not, you may have problems at both VSV and modulator.

I have a 1992 camry about to hit 300K mi. It failed inspections for too > high NOX. After a little research it looks like it has to do with EGR > system. How do I determine what part to replace? Modulator, valve etc? Are > there simple tests that will help isolate the problems? Is it a problem to > access? thnx
Reply to
johngdole

At 300k miles, it's time to take the EGR valve out and clean it anyway.

'92 camry... if that's the same style as my 4-cyl '96 camry... (I'm going by memory now, so please forgive me if my terminology is incorrect.) Loosen or take the throttle body out (refer to the Haynes manual), un-bolt the EGR valve from the intake manifold, un-bolt the other end of the EGR pipe that goes to the engine, and take the EGR valve plus pipe out.

You will probably need a blowtorch to loosen the nut securing the EGR valve to the pipe. I did.

With throttle plate cleaner chemical plus an old toothbrush, clean out all the carbon gunk inside the EGR valve internals. (Gloves are recommended.)

Re-installation is the reverse of removal. (But you should buy a new EGR valve gasket and a new throttle plate gasket, too.)

It won't hurt to clean out the tiny throttle body orifices too, with throttle plate cleaner solvent and a can of compressed air.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett