Starter keeps cranking

On starting the car this morning (Camry 2000), it started nicely as usual but the starter kept cranking. Nothing to stop it. Removing the key stopped the engine but the starter kept cranking. Nothing to stop it until I disconnected the ground terminal of the battery. Without the key in the ignition, reconnecting the battery terminal resulted in the starter cranking again. I know the solenoid got stuck but the problem was so sudden that I wonder what exactly could be the cause of this reaction. J.G.

Reply to
Jean-Guy Paradis