Re previous Radiator replacement.

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I asked about after market radiators. As the TOYOTA price for a replaement was just OTT.

Some did not think the Plastic Headers/bottom's were a good idea.

Between yesterday and today I changed it all out. Hovever the original Toyota radiator I took out has a Plastic bottom tank and a metal top one.

The only thing I did not have in hand for the job was the rubber bottom mounts. It was thought that these would be ok. But they were well shot. But waiting a day for delivery from Toyota gave me a chance to clean the engine compartment up a bit.

The radiator all hoses water/and oil pipes for auto box /Stat/Rad cap/Toyota red refill were changed.

Total cost for parts was Circa £200. so about US$ 380. So I am all well satisfied with my few hours work.

Mines a 1995 4/auto.. So plastic was creeping in then.

Cheers Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

I dont see anything wrong with plastic tanks. Your old rad lasted 12 years. I remember the old copper core radiators with soldered brass tanks. Good for three or four years then due a rodding and repair. Aluminum and plastic radiators are much better , in my opinion, Of course. Scott

Reply to
zonie

As long as we are expressing opinions, I do not intuitively like the idea of aluminum radiators or plastic tanks. Aluminum is an active metal (chemical electromotive series) and is inherently subject to corrosive attack. Corrosion inhibitors in the coolant can help, but remember that they are 'inhibitors', not preventors.

Plastic is okay until it cracks.

I believe these materials were integrated into modern cars to lower cost and weight, not necessarily for durability.

Some of the old brass cored radiators are still running today. On anything, maintenance and proper care mean a lot.

Reply to
<HLS

Checked the price of copper? Now we have comopsite rads........Great idea....no more rod cleans

Reply to
videokid400