Re: stalling in D and R, but not P or N

Did you get this fixed yet? I'm having a similar problem. john

Any ideas about my stalling problem? > > I have a '90 Camry with about 70K miles on it. (I don't drive a lot.) > A week ago, when I was driving, every now and then the car lost power, > but it always came back and didn't stall out. Later that afternoon, it > never lost power but ran a little rough. A few days ago, everything > seemed fine. > > Today, I had to turn the key a couple of times to start the car. > Whenever I started to drive, the car stalled out after driving a short > distance. Idling, I noticed that the car sounded OK when the > transmission was in Park or Neutral, but it ran rough in Reverse, > Drive, and both Low gears. > > Any ideas? Maybe, it's relevant to note that it's been humid with > showers today. I got the battery in '97. The spark plug wires are the > originals. (If I change the wires, how do I detach the non-spark plug > ends?) Of course, I don't know why the age of the battery or wires > would affect how the engine runs in gear. The fuel filter was changed > about a year ago. Last year, the car passed inspection with flying > colors. > > Thanks in advance. > > Bob
Reply to
Grave Digger

There was a guy here a few weeks ago who diagnosed the problem correctly, I believe, Its the coil. under then the distributor cap. It gets oily and needs to be cleaned with alcohol, completely. Humid weather is the Key to this problem as it is water based . Remove the cap and clean the complete coil and wires with alcohol , Be sloppy as alcohol is a solvent and will dry , use alcohol as a wash also , to clean contaminents off the plastic

Reply to
mark Ransley

I thought the problem was fixed after my mechanic replaced the ignition wires, distributor cap, and rotor. It wasn't. The next time it rained, the car ran poorly again. Back to the mechanic. This time he checked the computer for trouble codes (none present), tested the idle air control, tested the throttle position sensor. Then he found signs of arcing on the ignition coil and replaced it. The car runs fine, but it always did during dry weather. I'll know if the fix worked the next time it rains. So maybe it was the coil.

Reply to
Bob K