Replace power retractable Antenna with normal antenna.

Hi,

I have a retractable antenna which I broke - forgot to turn radio off while in car wash, doh - anyway I took the advice of google group users, thank you, and disconnected the power at the antenna.

I managed to pull the whole unit out and unhook it from the HU and I still get pretty good radio reception if somewhat directional. I do want better reception however I am unwilling to fork over the $250 for the unit from toyota.

Can I replace my power antenna with a non power one?

and if so are the installations fairly standard across cars?

or would i have to buy one specific to toyota or specific to my car model?

I have a 1985 toyota celica.

Thanks again for any advice,

JJ

Reply to
JS

I don't know about an 85 Celica, but years ago I had to replace the retractable mast (not the whole antenna) on a 92 Camry and it only cost about $25. Did you check with Toyota parts department about what would need to be replaced to fix it?

Reply to
Mark A

I replaced the antenna inner. It was cheap and easy to do. Just make sure you get the end bit out of the motor.

Reply to
John

Thanks for the suggestion, I did however ask them if I could just replace the mast and they said the unit is only sold complete with motor.

Reply to
JS

It may be true for the 85 Celica, but I would call some other dealers just to be sure.

Reply to
Mark A

Hi John,

Hmm... I looked at the unit it doesn't look to be that easy. What steps did you do to replace the antenna inner?

Here is a picture of my unit, picture is the very last one on the page:

Thanks,

JJ

Reply to
JS