power antenna revisited

what's the difference between the fenders of a 87-91 pickup and a 92-96 pickup?

Reason I ask is I finally found a catalog online with a listing for power antennas

they say that for a 92-96 I should use a 44-PWFD270 which is apparently no longer made, but the earlier trucks use a 44-PW22 which looks to be a pretty universal power antenna.

I did poke around the truck today and discovered that there is a good amount of room to mount the power unit; if you remove the pass. side kick panel there is an access plate behind there, if you open that up you are in the space that is the air intake for the HVAC system and it appears that there's more than enough room in there to mount a power antenna motor.

I have no idea what's special about the "right" antenna but I did write to Metra to ask but have not recieved a response yet. I suspect that it might have to do with the base and trim at the fender, in which case I still have all of the factory antenna save for the mast itself, I ought to be able to make something work if all my ASSumptions are correct...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

More info - I just did a run to the hardware store to pick up some stuff, and I stopped in at my FLAPS to buy a replacement antenna mast for the factory base so I could at least listen to some tunes (yes, the previous owner of my truck never replaced the factory AM/FM radio only head unit!) I did see that Metra makes a replacement antenna for Fords that appears to include a big rectangular plate and gasket. I assume that the reason that "nothing fits" my truck is not that nothing will fit but that using a universal antenna would leave the four screw holes in the cowl piece exposed. So if I bought a universal power antenna AND the fixed replacement antenna that has the Ford-looking base, that should work, yes?

has anyone tried this? it just offends my sensibilities to have a fixed-mast antenna that I can't even push down to go through a car wash. I suppose that I *could* carry a crescent wrench in the glovebox and just take it off each time, but that seems a little kludgey.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Forgot to mention, I suppose I could always just remove the panel, weld up the holes, and repaint as a last resort... how hard is it to remove that panel? doesn't look that difficult...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel