rolling noise at 40mph+

Hi there,

My 98 camry has about 142,xxx miles. When I drove it at speed 40mph+, rolling noise came from the front at fixed intervals. The higher the speed, the shorter the interval. Two mechanics told me that the wheel bearings need replacement, and I just had them do so. But with the new bearings, the rolling noise is still there, though it seems to be a little lower. Could anyone give hints that what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Perry

Reply to
Perry

A correction: I just had a more comprehensive test driving on freeway, and the noise appeared and also was most notable at the speed of

40mph. From 40mph-60mph, that noise vanished gradually, at least it didn't scale up.

Peng

Reply to
Perry
40mph. From 40mph-60mph, that noise vanished gradually, at least it didn't scale up.

Peng

******* This happens a lot nowadays, and many of us just turn a deaf ear to it. Let's discuss the other things it could be:

(1) Tires...they can generate a rolling noise such as you describe. Have you rotated them recently? Some tires are naturally noisy. (2) CV joints ....they usually give a clacking sound as you make a corner but it is not impossible that you could get this noise too. (3) Pad to rotor contact...if you are going 40 and hear this sound, touch the brake pedal lightly...Does the sound change or go away completely? (4) Wheel itself...if it is warped or out of round, you might hear some noise like this. This is somewhat unusual but doubtlessly occurs. (5) Transaxle noise. Self explanatory.

Reply to
hls