Stalling Rough Idle

I have a 97 Ford Ranger 98k 2.3L 4banger manual.

I am having a ton of trouble and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

The trouble started out one night on the way home from work, The truck started up then stalled out right away. it took about 3 to 4 starts pumping the trottle to get it to idle and stay running. After that no problem..Each day it was the same thing 3 to 4 starts and alot of pumping to keep it to run. If the truck is turned off you go throw it all over again.

I let this go for a time.

Start working on it last month , I've replaced the IAC, Throttle Posistion sensor, Egr value, plugs wires, cleaned the throttle body, checked for vacum leaks (as best as i could), changed out the battery, replaced air filter.

I've hooked it up to a reader, and get no fault codes.

After all of the above it runs when it wants to now..Taking upwards of 10 tries starting, the idle is ruff as hell till i guess it find the sweet spot to run then its smooth. I can try to start it a few times and disconnect the IAC and it will run.. However i haft to repeat that in each time..2nd it doesnt run well.

The MAS and EGR sensor can be disconnected and nothing changes. Running or not.

At start up it idles for 1 second correctly then stutters chokes cluncks and stalls. Doesnt seem to matter if the vechile is warm or cold either.

I am honestly lost at this point, i cant aford to goto a dealer or a local mechanic at this point, any suggestions ideas would be wonderful.

ive also taken back and exchanged all the above valves and sensors on the off chance i bought a bad one.

Thanks for any help you guys could give out.

Reply to
Nitebot

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:31:33 +0000, Nitebot rearranged some electrons to form:

Check fuel pressure.

Reply to
David M

Did the check engine light come on because I'm surprised you aren't getting any codes. It may not do shit but how about changing the plugs. How did you check for vacuum leaks? There's a smoke method that might work. If you have a rough idle you might find a leak using a hose on the end of a propane bottle but if there was a vacuum leak it probably would show a P0141 code. I recently had this code on a 2001 2.3L and found the vacuum hose going to the fuel pressure regulator was cracked.

Reply to
tomcas

Will be checkin the fuel pressure tomo or the next day if a friend shows up with the tools. (hopes)

Yea getting no codes now, i got the mas but i replaced that already..New plugs wires, that did help with the running smoother when i can get it to run after the 10 plus starts.

I pulled most(all the ones i can find) of the vac lines off, hooked my air compresser to them, and put them under water with my thumb holding the other end..no leaks that i could find.

Like i said the 10 plus times to get it started is just silly, then once it is runnin its a 50 50 chance it will run smooth enough to drive.

thanks for the help thus far guys, it is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Nitebot via CarKB.com

Reply to
tomcas

No codes at all..Dont understand it to be honest. Yea i did that with the vac lines at 1st, however people keep insisting it was a leak..

Finally check the fuel pressure.

When the key is on and the pump kicks in it reads 40 psi . Starting it drops down to 20 25 psi.. As you pump the throttle it jumps all around. Example as you open the throttle up the pressure drops to about 30, as you let off the throttle it it build back up to 40psi..

But nothing higher than that..

So now my question is, what should the pressure be at..? And does this vechile have a fuel regulator?

Reply to
Nitebot via CarKB.com

replaced the fuel pump..and sending unit while i was at it. Still the same.

check the gasket to the intake with starter fuild. No rev up at all..i know thats not the best method to check it but only one i can come up with at time.

So whats left guys?

injectors?

at this point ive almost rebuilt this POS.

Reply to
Nitebot via CarKB.com

Made some progress. Maybe this will help others out.

By starting the truck once and it stalles, then disconnecting tps and and just connecting the old tps (with out mounting it). Starting the truck again it stales again..Reconnecting the new tps and starting the truck will make it run smooth as silk. Now just disconnecting and reconnecting of the new tps wont allow the truck to run, but when i do the above, it run smooth with out problems.

So the new TPS could be bad?

Reply to
Nitebot via CarKB.com