How do you access the rear speaker panel on the '96 camry?

Haynes' description is terrible... it just has a picture, with the rear seats down, two screws removed (did that), and mention of six clips.

I bent the six clips out of the way, but the rear panel won't really move much.

Any suggestions?

By the way, I noticed the two rear speakers have "15W" stamped on them. (!!!) I'm planning on getting some speakers that are at least 40W RMS...

On another note (no pun intended)... how does Jensen compare with Kenwood?

Reply to
onehappymadman

jensen vs. kenwood -- poorly --

Reply to
timbirr

Ah, so the Kenwood is the better performer?

Reply to
onehappymadman

timbirr

Thanks for the link.

So... any suggestions on removing the rear panel?

Reply to
onehappymadman

you need to remove the side seat cushions by accessing the screws under the back seats also remove the plastic cover of the stoplight in the rear window. There are 2 screws on that holding the light to the cover. No need to remove the 6 clips they pull out with the cover.

1) remove back seat under cushion (pull up and out) 2) remove backseat rest side panels (where belts are on right and left) 3) remove brake light cover and light 4) remove 2 screws on furry board behind backseat rest (very visible) 5) pull furry board out
Reply to
kal.panchal

Also, you may need to make new mounting holes for the speakers. Fortunately I had a right-angle drill that was just short enough to not be impeded by the rear windshield. If you buy new speakers they may have adapter brackets. Try Crutchfield for excellent service and decent prices.

Beware that if impedence of new and old speakers don't match you will be fidgeting with the Faedr quite a bit and ultimately won't be happy with the sound. Kenwoods are way better than Jensens.

Reply to
badgolferman

Okey doke, I'll try drilling from inside the trunk instead of fighting the rear window...

Impedance... you mean, 8 ohm vs. 16 ohm?

Thanks for that. Trying to find reviews, but those are pretty skimpy (and usually only for the more expensive speakers). I'm not planning on spending more than $50 for the rear speakers...

Reply to
mrdarrett

Ok, thanks. Just making sure, my car is the 4-door sedan, there weren't any screws holding the plastic stoplight cover... pulled right out.

Still looking for the screws holding the backseat rest side panels...

Reply to
mrdarrett

If you pull out the bottom seat cushion then drop down the seat backs, the side bolsters' three bolts will become visible. There is one on the bottom and two on top or vice versa.

Reply to
badgolferman

Ok. How do I pull out the rear bottom seat cushion? Just keep pulling on it? Is there a latch...?

Does Peter represent the Poor, or the Rich?

Reply to
mrdarrett

Stick your hand down between the back seat cushion and the bottom seat cusion. Pull up on the bottom seat cushion and pull oit all the way out. Then you can drop the back seat cushions easily out of the way.

Reply to
badgolferman

Autozone's free repair guide has a few pictures of removing the rear shelf speakers.

johngdole