Runaway 2009 Lexus ES fiery crash kills family of 4

I had several minutes of braking with my E36, but at 60mph deadsticking down the hill, it goes away long before the hill is gone.

PS You dont get several minutes, you get several applications, and dead-stick driving tends to use them up sooner than you might expect. When the motor is running, I can select a gear that lets me do the same hill and use the brakes just a few times in 7 miles, but when the engine is off, the need for brakes is much higher ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

When I tried it with a brand new ball, I got 26 applications. I think the manual says you are supposed to get 12.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

What is a "nitrogen ball?"

Reply to
dsi1

It's a compressed gas reservoir that keeps the braking system up to pressure after engine power is lost.

The brake system on BMWs of that era is... really German. They never use one part when they can use five instead.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

That's a good idea. I used to have a VW Rabbit that had a vacuum reservoir that looked like bunch of plastic spheres. I think it was hooked up to the emission system - not the brakes. How does this nitrogen ball work? The brake booster systems I'm familiar use the engine vacuum to multiply brake pedal force.

As far as German engineering goes, I was very impressed with the rear drum brake system on a Scirocco I used to have. They replaced the standard self-adjusting drum brake wear hardware - starwheel, ratchet, linkages and springs, with a simple wedge and spring. It's a beautiful system. Mostly, I'm afraid of old-school English engineering. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Isnt the nitrogen reservoir limited to abs applications? I may be wrong, but I thought the cars with the nitrogen balls have vacuum assist as well>???

Reply to
ben91932

well, that WAS a good adjuster system except they got the geometry of the wedge wrong... if your drums had a lot of miles on them and were worn slightly oversized the adjuster wedge would run out of adjustment LONG before you ran out of brake shoe, so the brake pedal got real mushy. I know this from personal experience :) Of course rear drums for those cars were like $25 apiece back in the day...

nate

Reply to
N8N

I would tend to change out the shoes before they needed to because I'd already have the parts and as long as the drum was off it seemed like the easier way to go. I sure wish I had one of those first series car again - but they don't seem to have survived this new century due to their old-school rust protection. The one I had was riddled with holes. People would laugh at me. Well, at least the brakes and drive train was fine. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

First of all it's unfortunate what happened to the family. So I wouldn't want to second guess what was or was not done at the time.

But according to the CHP Academy web site. Each cadet will have 27 weeks and 1,000 hours of training. Some of which include Emergency Vehicle Operations Course (EVOC).

Now my question is that if a CHP officer with EVOC training can't stop a runaway Camry (Lexus ES), who can?

The Emergency Vehicle Operations Course (EVOC) is famous throughout the world as the finest law enforcement driver training program available. The course consists of a 2.3-mile, high-performance driving track, two skid recovery practice areas and a defensive driving course. Additional riding facilities are provided for the Motorcycle Enforcement Training Course.

john

I sold an '84 'roccet - my last A1 chassis VW - back around 2004 or so for $600. It was still quite solid. I think I sold it just because I was paying more for insurance on it (I lived in a "high risk" area at the time) every year than the car was worth, and it was my second car. If I'd kept it I'd probably still have it today, as I now have a company car, so it'd be perfectly acceptable as a personal use vehicle.

I think the only major problem I had with it was a worn bearing in the trans that caused it to keep losing its gear oil through the output shaft seal at about 200K miles. Not bad for a little econobox, and it was a kick in the arse to drive and all-day comfortable. I drove it for MANY trips to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and once to Vermont in December. No problems/worries ever about driving so far in such an "old" car. I miss that car.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

No doubt it's a car that one remembers fondly. I used to sit like a king in a semi-reclined position in that thing - something not possible with the other cars I've had. The car had the standard engine and a 4 speed. It could have been dumb luck but I don't think I've ever had a manual transmission car where the engine and the gear ratios and the driver were so perfectly matched. Oh well, what can you say? That was then and this is now... :-)

Reply to
dsi1

"a" kirjoitti viestissä news:kZNsm.45571$PH1.24807@edtnps82...

I bet the brakes were operable at first, but the driver had made them inoperable by trying to brake without shifting to neutral.

P.V.

Reply to
P.V.

another

ear or neutral,

I heard the call. Not sure if you did. One of the first things the 911 operator said was 'can you shut it off?'....

Reply to
in2dadark

ASSuming it works. If it fails, braking gets real squirrely.

nate

Reply to
N8N

If my 1985 Corolla GTS 4 cylinder twin cam hit 130 on a flat run between Kinston and Oshawa ONT, then I think a 6 cyl Lexus should probably be able to surpass that.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Whatwas the matter with him? Drunk? ALL State Police officers undergo a 40 hour advanced driving skills class. A CHP officer allowing a car to get out of control doesn't seem very likely.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Shifting into low and hitting the brakes will.

Reply to
Hachiroku

THAT'S what the hell that thing is!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Or Lucas, the Prince of Darkness...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Another fatal crash @ same intersection last night... Talked to a Lexus tech and: Pushing the ignition button on the Lexus does not lock the steering, and the car can be shifted to neutral while driving. Something was up with that guy...

Reply to
ben91932