Sell as is or fix and sell

Sell as is or fix and sell open original image
Sell as is or fix and sell open original image
Sell as is or fix and sell open original image
97 Camry XLE, 120,000 mile. We just found out the Power steering pump is leaking. the rack and pinion got scored and is also leaking.

This is a spare car and I dont want to put any more money into it. ( I never liked the ride due to the lousy suspension on this car....)

We're looking at around $1000 to repair.

I checked the value online and it ranges from $4,000 to $7,600

The car has been well maintained, Timing belt was done. leather, power everything.

Would I be better off to fix it and then sell it of sell as is but knock $1000 off the price...

TIA

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

Check recyclers for good used parts. Given the poplarity of Camry's, you might strike lucky. One important element, are there any other issues with the car, present or future as far as your mechanic can tell?

120,000 is low mileage for a Camry. But, if you really don't like the car, get rid of it and buy another one. But, you'd buy someone else's car issues with it as well. I have a 98 and also find the suspension lousy but, when I can afford it, I'll buy better shocks.
Reply to
Bassplayer12

Reply to
BigJim

This is a tough call...I'd be tempted to tell the potential buyer about the problem and let him have the car for $1000 less than retail book. If you fix the problem, you're out the grand, and you still are at the mercy of a potential buyer who may not pay the price you will then want. Everybody loves a bargain, and if the buyer can fix it himself for less than a grand, he's happy.

I'm a little surprised that you don't like the ride of the Camry ..."lousy suspension"... because I have a 97 Camry with 136K miles, and the ride is fine, and I've never replaced the original shocks.. If you want to experience lousy suspension, try driving any Nissan Sentra. Go over a little pothole and you'll think you've hit a railroad tie in the road. Terrible. It deals with tiny bumps well, but if it's a major bump, it will loosen your back teeth.

Reply to
mack

I also have a 98 Honda Accord and the ride is MUCH better. I've looked into the whole Upper front strut mount problem the 97's have but I havent done anything about it. Other than the steering problem the car is in good shape. I dont think I'll have a problem selling it. I agree, Someone who could fix it themselves would get a good deal if I knocked $1000 off the price...

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

Does the power steering fluid have a filter or strainer? I've already heard a couple of problems with power steering fluid leaking. The power steering and transmission fluid are the same, right? so this has to be drained/replaced at the same time?

Reply to
EdV

huh - they both use Dextron fluid but not the same reservoir.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Might be better to trade it with a dealer in that case, assuming you are replacing it. They are more likely to understand the whole car is not a dog and can fix the problem easier than most private buyers. And they are probably more likely to have fixed whatever was wrong with the one you buy from them.

Reply to
jg

Funny Timing... Last night I got a letter from the dealer we bought the car from... We've bought 3 cars from them!

The are offering a loyalty program this weekend.. $3500 off sticker price and 110 percent of NHDA? value for the trade in.

Plus Tomorrow is my wifes birthday.. (car is for my wife)

I will go down and if they have a car that suits me I think I can drive a pretty hard deal with them....

If that does not work out I'll detail the car and put it up for sale. No hurry to sell as I have a spare Toyots Tacoma I can drive for now. (inherited last year)

Thanks for the input...

Stee

Reply to
comcastss news groups

Personally, if I'm looking at a car with major lack-of-maintenance issues like that, I'll either walk away or assume that it's got other lurking issues about to pop, and offer you rock-bottom dollar.

Translation: fix it -- most folks don't want a fixer-upper.

Reply to
Andy Hill

I wouldn't call that a major lack of maintenance.

What maintenance do you do to your power steering pump? (add fluid)

Parts fail!

Now the rack and pinion failing is due to my wife waiting to tell me "the steering sounds funny" Probably ran dry and scored the seals?

We have receipts for all the maintenance.

I agree though it may be better to fix it then sell.

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

How does one maintain the steering pump and rack apart from watching the fluid?

Reply to
jg

========================== While saving for a Camry I had a chance to look at several. Seemed the brake fluid was always dark - that is, never changed. I was actually pleased first time I took my 80,000 mile Camry to the dealer when they recommended flushing the brake fluid and power steering fluid, but after paying around $80 for the power steering flush, I decided to use a $3 battery bulb from Auto Zone to change the steering fluid in the reservoir at oil change intervals. Now it always stays clean. Steering racks are expensive. Transmission fluid is not.

Reply to
Daniel

Let us know how the trade in goes.

comcastss news groups wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Brake fluid yes (although I never change it), but my book says never for the power steering fluid... not in the first 100,000 km anyway. I do change coolant and engine oil faithfully but always develop engine or body rust problems in cars before brakes or steering - that's when you scrap it. When you keep cars up to 25 years old you work out what's worth doing and what's not.

Reply to
jg