Sheered off bolts

Hi everyone. I have an 89 toyota camry. It has 105k miles on it. (Literally only driven to church on sunday my my wife's grandmother). It started with the dying under load from stop on rainy day problem. So I went out and got a new distributor cap and rotor. I figured I'd try that first and if it didn't work, i'd swap out the coil next.

So I went to remove the cap and noticed that the bottom bolt had sheered off, and the cap was ever so slightly loose (maybe allowing water under the cap). When I removed the other two, the one on top and front was a little stiff but came out without too much trouble. But the one on the back in the middle sheered off.

So now I have only one bolt with with to attach the distributor cap. I could probably get some nutbuster on the bolt halves still in the engine. But I'm not sure I can get the bolts out since they're so hard to get to.

So my question is, has anyone come up with an easy way to extract these bolts? Any other ideas?

I considered gluing the cap back on with RTV or something to seal out the water. Should I try that or some other adhesive?

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

ransley

A damp or oil contaminated or bad coil is common to cause that issue, if you glue it on you might never get it off if its the coil, clean the coil with alcohol and get the bolts out.

Reply to
ransley

Hi Brian,

I am not sure if its possible to drill down the broken part of the bolt and progressively increase the size of the drill until you can get a tap started into the hole you just drilled.

Or even drill out the broken bit and drill and tap oversize.

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

That's the procedure I'm hoping to avoid. It looks like I may even have to take the head off to get to one of the bolts. I'm going to try to get the car into the garage and have a closer look late.r

brian

Reply to
brianlanning