should I get an alignment now or later?

My 99 Camry has developed a slight pull to the right. It's not severe; it's almost as though it's falling off a road crown all the time, although it's more pronounced on acceleration. I don't think a brake is dragging; I've felt the right front disc after driving for a while and it's not hot.

I'm due for new tires in the Spring. Should I wait until I get the new tires to do the alignment, or is there no point in waiting?

What should I look for in a well-equipped alignment shop? (I don't think my dealer is set up to do alignment work.)

Reply to
Nobody Important

I doubt there would be enough money saved to justify getting an alignment done now vs. later you'll replace the tires in 6-8 months. Around where I live, advertised deals on alignments start in the range of $40-$50.

I'm not especially knowledgeable on the subject, but I suppose being out of alignment puts a little extra stress on the wheel bearings and CV joints, and also various joints such as where the tie-rods and stabilizer bar join the wheels. But my guess is such added stresses are pretty minimal. The tires are where misalignment has the most pronounced effect in wear by far.

When you get an alignment done, it probably would be a good idea to spend a few extra bucks and get a 4-wheel alignment (if you have 4-wheel or rear wheel drive, for sure the shop would do a 4-wheel alignment.)

The criteria for judging the competency of a shop's ability to do an alignment are the same as for any other type of car repairs. You're best off knowing the shop's reputation before taking it in. Of course that's not always possible. It's a business with plenty of slippery hustlers in it. Also, most shops that do alignments probably use very similar equipment.

If a shop touts the benefit of pure nitrogen inflation for car tires, that's one clue that they may not be honest folks. Where I live, nitrogen inflation is being promoted these days in radio ads as beneficial. Bunk, IMO (and I'm a Mechanical Engineer.) Air is already 78% nitrogen. Any benefits in filling tires with pure N2 versus air are so small as to be negligible.

Mike

--
:
: I'm due for new tires in the Spring.  Should I wait until I get the new
: tires to do the alignment, or is there no point in waiting?
:
: What should I look for in a well-equipped alignment shop?  (I don't
: think my dealer is set up to do alignment work.)
Reply to
M. Hamill

Thanks for the detailed reply. I didn't know alignments were so cheap. I'll get one right away.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Assuming your tires are normal pressure and no-body has dropped one front wheel into a pot-hole:

Slight pulling can be caused by factors which may well be an accumulation of normal wear and tear. Personally I would get it done now as tire condition is not going to effect the quality of the alignment,...but before this, have the front end checked out for any problems. If the alignment guy is also a trustworthy mechanic,.lethim do both jobs.

If your dealer does services, he will do alignments. Unfortuneately alignments are like everything else, there are good operators and not so good. Best to ask around.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James