Smoke

I have a 1997 Camry LE. When I start ( cold weather or warm) blue smoke comes out of the exhaust for a few seconds and then goes away. It has about

55K miles.

My son has a 1992 Camry with a similar problem and it has about 120K miles. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
Rao Vadapalli

This must have been covered over a thousand times... Use Google and search the newsgroup for the words "camry smoke" You will get 2,670 hits with your answer.

Reply to
ROBMURR

What I find odd is that these low mileage cars start to smoke from valve stem leakage at all. That's what it is Rao. My '96 started at about the same numbers, and I don't think it fits the image of Camry's "relaibility". Because of that and other, what I consider, early failures in oil leakage, I just traded in for 2004. That only because, for the price, if I can keep it another

7-8 years at that cost, it's all >

Sue M.

Reply to
Sue milham

Did someone say smoke? where's it at? I'm going after it. It has to be "big tabacco! And its hard on the environment. I'll ban cars soon. Maybe I'll get Al Gore to be my running mate, afterall, he gave me his endorsement. We both think the automobile is the most dangerous think known to man!

Reply to
Howard "Nakita" Dean

Don't look in the mirror until the car warms up. Keep a check on your oil. If oil consumption is excessive have the problem fixed. I would suggest looking in the valve covers. If you see a lot of black goo in there, you might think about pulling the valve covers and making sure the oil drain holes are no obstructed.

Blue smoke at start-up is often a sign of slight oil leakage past the valve guides. If the oil consumption is not excessive, I' just keep driving. You might also try some of the new high mileage motor oils (Valvoline Max Life is one of these). Supposedly they include chemicals to soften and "recondition" valve seals. I have no personal experience with these products.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

If it were an American car (one of the big 3) everyone would say it was junk because of the smoke problem in these low mileage engines. But since it is Toyota its ok............

"relaibility". Because

Definitely not

Reply to
Art Begun

SPECULATING as usual, Art.

Reply to
Philip®

Actually, I would have said a little smoke at start-up is OK whether it was American or not. But your point about US cars is well taken. I had a friend who ditched his Expedition with around 50k miles because it sometimes puffed a little blue smoke on start-up (and I do mean sometimes and a little). His concern was that it was going to get worse. In his case the problem was there almost from day one. The dealer kept jerking him around (at least in my opinion) and never made the maximum effort to fix the problem. In the end, he blamed Ford and traded it off for a GMC. I blamed the dealer for not fixing the problem (most likely a bad head). I know of other cases, with the exact same symptom, where the dealer replaced the entire engine without even being pushed. I complained about an unmeasurable oil leak on my Mustang and the dealer yanked the motor to fix it. I can assure you if I had been spending the money, nothing would have been done. My infamous Cressida often blew a little blue smoke at start-up. It never bothered me - well except when the ex started the car with the garage door closed and I was in the garage working on something.

The fact is, valves seals have to let a little oil by, or the guides would not be lubricated. In some cases a little more oil than desirable escapes past the guides. Some of this may leak after the engine is shut down and pool up in the intake and is burned when you start the motor. If it is a little more than usual, you get that puff of smoke. If your engine is not using a measurable amount of oil, it is nothing to worry about. If the car was new and under warranty, I'd ask to have it fixed. However, if I was paying the bill, the amount of smoke would need to be significant, and the oil usage measurable. At some point, it might be necessary to pull the head and get a complete valve job done, or you could just replace the seals without removing the head (Mitsubishi dealers are good at this).

Ed

Art Begun wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Really Philip?

In the last few years, Toyota's have been plagued by rattles and clicks (you took your dash apart to fix yours, if my memory serves me right), blue smoke from engines at start up, and front end clunks, yet sales growth continues. Check the latest Consumer Reports Buyers Guide. The new Camry only has only an average frequency of repair record. Compare it to Buick's? You'll be surprised. I know I was when my brother-in-law told me how reliable Buick's had become. (He drives a Mazda 626). I wonder when reality will catch up to Toyota.

engines.

Reply to
Art Begun

"Plagued" is subjective. I very rarely see any car brand emitting a belch of smoke on start up. And when I do, seems to me these are older vehicles or Chrysler mini vans. So far as plastic interior panel rattles, I suggest you go to your Toyota dealer and inquire how frequently a car is brought in for rattles. While you're at it, check with Honda, Nissan, etc, etc in comparable quality cars. If you find such rattle complaints in prestige cars, lets hear about that.

Reply to
Philip®

No, we'd tell them it need "valve stem seals"., DUH! I think Art is in bed with Mike!

Art, go away.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Art,

For what its worth, I own a 2001 Buick Century AND a 2002 Toyota Camry LE V6. Both vehicles are working great and have had 1 or 2 issues on both cars. As these vehicles have about 25,000 miles each, I will find out how the cars fair. My idea is to change cars every 10 years or 200,000 KM (124,000 miles) and if these cars give me good service, I will probably keep using them or trade it in for a newer model.

Reply to
Car Guy

Car Guy, here is a neat little project for you. Figure in the mileage at the end of the 10 years (just a guesstimate) then list see what you paid for them new vs what they will be worth then. Be interesting to see which holds the value better. Report back with your findings. ;D

Reply to
MDT Tech®