smoke out the tail pipe

When I start my 01 camry le after it has been sitting for a while, smoke comes out of the tail pipe. What do I need to do to correct this problem?

Reply to
squalid23

Don't start the car would have been my answer (I'm clueless about cars, that's why I come to this group)

But a friend of mine says you may have bad plugs. Hopefully MDT, Bruce or one of the other mechanical types will have your answer.

I think you need to mention the color and/or amount of smoke. It's not weird to have smoke come out of a tail pipe as far as I know, but maybe you're talking about a huge amount of it, or a strange characteristic?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You don't mention the color. Or how many miles on the car.

A small puff of blue smoke when the car is first started is an indication that the valve stem seals are deteriorating, but I haven't had this happen on any of mine until well over 200,000 miles!!!

If it is a small puff of white smoke, it is probably just condensation. A small amount of steam is generated when an engine runs and is visible until the engine warms up fully.

If it lasts longer than a few minutes at MOST, is could be an indication the head gasket is going, but this is pretty extreme, esp on a car as young as this...

Reply to
hachiroku

Excessive valve stem to guide clearance can be the culprit to (but probably not on a Toyota). ;)

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

If the valve stem seals or head gasket are going, some engine repair work is in order.

Reply to
Ray O

Is it smoke or steam? What is "a while"?

If it "smokes" in the morning after sitting over night, it's really steam and is nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland