spark plug wires

How do you remove the spark plug wires from the distributor?

Trying to measure wire resistance on my '96 camry.

Reply to
mrdarrett

====== Just measure from inside the distributor cap. Sometimes they are not removable.

Reply to
Daniel

Oh, so if I order new spark plug wires, they will come with a new distributor cap, too?

Interesting...

Reply to
mrdarrett

Yes, some Toyota wire sets have the distributor cap as an integral part. Dont know how widespread this is, but have definitely seen this setup.

Son's Toyota had this, and we diagnosed the problem with a cheap spark tester that fits between the spark plug and the ignition cable.

Reply to
<HLS

ALWAYS test ign leads in cap ........proves cap and lead resistance. In the case of camry, push the black clip in towards the cap and the lead will pop out. By checking the static resistance of a HT lead you are dooing just that testing the static resistance.To perform a proper check of your ignition systems secondary circiut you need to have the car put on a dyno and scope.There is really no other way to get it 100% right.

Dave Strachan,AIAME Toyota master tech Australia.

Reply to
videokid400

Not all of us have a scope and dyno. In the case I mentioned above, we were able to isolate the problem to the integrated distributor cap/ cable system quickly and cheaply.

A new one put him back in service. And that is the point of the exercise, isn't it.

Reply to
<HLS

NO Im sure not everyone has a dyno and a scope,however as I said it is the way to CORRECTLY diagnose secondary ignition systems. the use of spark testers is a good way to get a very rough idea where a problem may lay, the work well on points type ignitions, however if any of my mechanics EVER put one near a HEI ignition system they would be sacked immediatly.There several around that are load callibrated, (snap on have one )but it is still risking the secondary side of the coil and module and this is made clear in the instructions for using the tool. Dave

Reply to
videokid400