sparkplugs

Bosch makes some big claims with their new 4 way plugs giving better milage and performance. Are these b.s. I find it hard to beleive TOY and everyone else wouldnt have adopted and made their own if they really worked. plus if they did emissions should be better. Are they worth the extra beer. { I drink Kentucky Whiskey }

Reply to
mark Ransley

I haven't had a new set of plugs whether standard or a 'new' variant give the car better power/economy etc. While the old plugs are gapped correctly and are free of carbon and cracks in the insulator, they still work fine.

The ignition of the fuel/air charge is the main game. Whether a four electrode plug does this better is debatable because in theory any electric discharge which has to be spread over 4 rather than one gap can't be an advantage.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I thought you know the answers to all questions.....

Reply to
phil

Well spaceman45 Phil , I only know a FEW answers , or less, and even then its luck , I m not sure, thats why I ask....thats why we are here...

Reply to
mark Ransley

Jason James, that has been my logic , but You know advertisers , so im learning to, but their plus look Cool

Reply to
mark Ransley

I am not sure about the tip design, but most Bosch plugs don't last as long as the best Denso or NGK plugs. This is big factor because the manufacturers are very competitive in terms of maintenance intervals and warranty coverage.

Reply to
Mark A

My last experience with Bosch single ground Platinum's in a Mazda was not good. After awhile, I got a lot of what seemed like pre-ignition. Pulled the plugs and the large porcelain nose had a lot of deposits, even though according to their chart, I had the right ones/heat range. Exchanged them for some Bosch std copper core, and all was well.

Interesting to note when the car was new (1987), it had Champion RN11YC4 plugs installed. This car was entirely built in Japan, and I found this interesting. Owners Manual lists Champion and NGK plugs as recommended.

manufacturers

Reply to
Platil

I tried a set of those Bosch+4 plugs about three years ago in a Geo Prizm. The plugs I took out had 20k miles on them. There was a tiny improvement in cold start up ... for a month or two. Then ... no difference. And there never was any change in city or highway fuel mileage. Firing voltages ran about 8-10,000 volts. By the time 15k miles rolled around, the firing voltages were up around 40,000 volts! Yikes! As the plug is constructed with a tiny thin wire recessed electrode, you don't gain any advantage. +4 plugs are a gimmick.

Reply to
Philip®

Just like with that "Tornado" thing that 'gives' better performance/mileage for a car.. I do not see any advantage in the 'new' Bosch design.

John P.

Reply to
John P.

Spark plugs just aren't the issue they used to be, I remember when they were to be changed every 10,000 miles. I had a Toyota camry an 85 that had the original plugs in it when I sold it at 160 K miles. I did regap them at

90 thousand. Now if you are talk> My last experience with Bosch single ground Platinum's in a Mazda was not
Reply to
Ring Toss Dave

Don't forget the little gas atomizer that used the magnet around the fuel line.

Scot

Reply to
Scot

Don't most people know that magnets do not "atomize" fuel .... unless your redefine the word "atomize."

Reply to
Philip®

The plugs I am interested in are the new Denso Iridium plugs which are supposed to last quite some time.

Anyone use/have comments on them?

Thanks, John.

Reply to
John