Special jumper for timing on 3SFE engine?

Re: 88 camry wagon 4-cyl. 3SFE engine: The manual does not say to install a jumper wire to two contacts on the diagnostic connector, it says to use a certain "special tool". Can't tell from the illustration just what it is, but it does look like some component with two leads. So I am thinking that maybe it is actually a resistor that has to be connected to check timing, not a jumper wire. I thought I had better check on this before doing something possibly stupid like installing a plain jumper wire and frying the ECU. If it is a resistor.... if I could find out the value required, then I could make my own resistive jumper. thanks Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

The manual says to connect the terminals with the special tool. Most everyone just bends a paper clip to fit. Looks to me like the special tool is just two insulated wire leads connected at the top. I am not aware of any requirement for resistance. If you add resistance then _that_ could damage the circuit. I've never had a problem using the paper clip. I assume no one else does this, but on mine the little sections are filled with grease, so after removing the "jumper" I fill them back up with dielectric silicone grease.

Reply to
Daniel