Steering wheel part

I just noticed I am missing a panel on the left side on my steering wheel (2000 camry). I have noticed hearing a squeaking for the past week or so when I turn, that must be where it was coming from. How would I go about getting a replacement panel? Can I order it off the internet or do I need to go to the dealer? The panel must have fallen off somewhere, I park the car on the street, but I have an alarm, and nothing else is missing, so I doubt anybody else has been in the car. I can take a pic and post it if that would be helpful.

Thanks

Reply to
Meese

The panel is probably just a cosmetic cover piece. Most common source of squeaking from the steering wheel would be the universal joint where the steering shaft enters the firewall at the bottom. Try a bit of oil there.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

That panel is an access point to the airbag (if fitted) and the hornpad screws. If your car has an airbag, I'd get a manual before messing around in there.

Any light squeking is most likely not a critical problem as in a steering shaft bearing, but rather usually the horn contact runningon the ring which appears to live under the horn pad. Details on how to remove the pad are in the w/shop manual (Haynes etc)

They can get noisy for short periods.

In the long run if folks want to work on their car, a manual is virtually mandatory.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James