$56.79 - for a Relay?

I got some excellent advice from Mr. Jason James and Winston concerning the Starting problem I'm having with my 94 Camry L.E. (4 Cyl).

It might be this starter relay, I called the dealer and they want $56.79. Is anyone aware of a possible better source? Autozone never heard of this relay, is there some kind of cross reference? Spammers Persecuted

Reply to
Huang Chung

You can try

Do a google search for other dealers that sell genuine parts on-line.

Reply to
Mark A

Here's a suggestion. Try asking for a better price. Go in person. Talk to the parts counter person. Explain that you would like to buy your parts there. I usually explain that I've been buying parts there for a certain number of years, bought this part or that part or had this particular experience. Ask if they can provide a better price on the starter relay. Something like "Can you do any better on the price for this starter relay?" Worst they can say is "no, that's our price." I've been surprised that often, they will do some calculations and come up with a better number for you. Not always. But quite often. First discovered this when I had a Mercedes with a limited slip differential, requiring their special lubricant. Seems the prior owner didn't always use it, and I was getting some slipping occassionally. I just stood there in genuine shock after hearing the price for one container of this special gear oil, trying to decide what to do. I needed the part, but couldn't really afford that price - when after a few minutes, the parts person volunteered a better price.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I'd carefully check the starter interlock before purchasing the relay. Make sure your brake light switch (pin switch above the brake pedal arm) is properly adjusted, and that all your brake lights are illuminated. As a safety feature, if the car is not in Park with the brake lights on - car will not start.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Fault finding by elimination is one way to clear the fault,...but can be expensive. How about listening to the relay, or a home-made stethoscope (a long crewdriver works well), to check whether it is operating or not, when the problem is happening?

This way you save money plus you learn a bit about automotive electronics (once described as being an invention of the devil).

check back.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Hi, If this is the usual plug in type relay. Would it not be possible to unplug the relay and energise it with 12 volts externally. And place an ohm meter across the contacts to check for a short circuit. Or put a load across the switching side to check. Light bulb would do with

12 votls in series with relay contacts.

It maybe that an adjustment could be made or the contacts cleaned. Anyone in electrical work should be able to check it out for you.

Or is it the main relay in the strarter motor area that switches very high current. Again this may just require a strip and clean.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin