Strut Tool Needed?

I'm trying to get everything together for my upcoming strut job (instead of getting it together when the car is in pieces). I was looking in the manual and there is a tool to hold the strut mount in place while you turn the lock nut. Is this tool SST-09729-22031 really necessary? Or can I span the mounting studs with a big screw driver or something to keep it from turning when I loosen the lock nut?

Thanks for everyone's input for the strut recommendation. I was pressed for time so I just went ahead and ordered the Monroe sensatrac from shockwarehouse.com. After the fact I checked on the Gabriel Ultras at autozone per Johngd.....the better shock was available cheaper (even with tax) and locally (maybe a couple days if I ordered from the store). Duh!! When in doubt start looking close to home first!

Ernie

Reply to
Ernie

========== Haven't tried this, but understand you can break that nut loose prior to disassembly. (just loosen, obviously not remove)

Reply to
Daniel

From the looks of the SST tool, you can come up with something of your own that works.

Reply to
toyomoho

You can rent a spring compressor -- DO NOT unbolt it or try some makeshift tool --- you'll end up with broken ribs or no teeth. You could also take out struts and have a machine shop compress springs and install new struts. Make sure you get new OEM dust boots (on some models '93 for sure) it is part of the spring mount. They are about $35 eac (if I recall).

Reply to
Wolfgang

Um, YEAH! I saw one of those 'finger clamps' go through a cinder block wall!

Reply to
Hachiroku