99 camry possible front wheel bearing problem

I have a possible front wheel bearing problem. There is an intermittent growling sound from left front when driving at low speed. Other times there is no sound at all when driving at low speed.

Sometimes it gets loud sometimes when I step on the brakes.

Other times there is no sound at all driving along or stepping on brakes.

I jacked up car and manually rotated wheel. No noise. Turned smoothly.

Then I removed caliper. Looked good. Then I removed pads. They looked fine also.

Could this be a bad wheel bearing ?

Reply to
wp51

EdV

It has been awhile, but the pads look good ( about 1/4 inch left ), with same thickness left on inner and outer pads, and the rotors look good on both driver's side and passenger side..

I downloaded directions for wheelbearing replacement.

I don't have a tie rod end removal tool. ? possible to make do with regular tools ?

Reply to
wp51

I have found that when moving and turning the wheel you get the growling sound it is usually a bearing.

Reply to
BigJim

It could be the CV joint, is the rubber boot good, a small CV joint noise is not uncommon in old cars.

Reply to
m Ransley

======== Harbor Freight sells a tie rod end puller for less than $10 but I'd confirm it is the bearing first. You need a hydraulic press to remove and install and they are generally very durable.

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks for reply.

I borrowed a tie rod end removal tool in anticipation of pulling steering knuckle and wheel bearing, with plan to check wheel bearing, and possibly totake to machine shop. I removed wheel and noted that outer surface of caliper was grinding metal off the adjacent surface of the wheel. Removed caliper. The top bolt was missing, allowowing caliper to pivot slightly on remaining lower bolt. Ordered correct replacement bolt from Toyota.

Reply to
wp51