struts - when should I replace them

99 Camry 60000 miles.

The dealer told me all my struts were worn out and should be replaced. They said it was not a safety issue and it was up to me to make a decision. Since they did not push me as hard as before when my car had other problems, I assumed it was not a serious problem and denied it. I would rather save the $1200.

It turned out, however, that I am a nervous person. Since that day, I started to feel that my car was thumping. It knocked hard when hit a very small gap on the road. I never paid attention to this before. So I did not know it was a problem or it was normal but just becuase I was too nervous.

Is there some kind of measurements to judge the struts? Should I replace them if they were worn out? I heard some people mentioned "leaking", I guess that is a much serious problems about struts. Right? Does a poor struts may do harm to other parts?

Thanks,

fun

I would not worry too much about it...my 97 Camry has the original struts at 165,000 miles! Ride is a bit softer than new and I may replace them if I keep the car longer(probably).... By pushing down hard on the front or rear they still do not keep bouncing around.

Reply to
ROBMURR

f wrote: /snip/

If the struts aren't leaking, don't make any noise, and are all about the same level (extended), then forget about it. It is common for Camry's to go 125K or more on the original struts.

P.S. - You might try another Toyota dealer - sounds like this one may have his hand on your wallet.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Struts have the shock-absorber built in and can wear in a couple of ways. The shock can lose damping action which causes the wheel to thump on road bumps and the ram bush can get worn and allow instability in steering. The upper support which has a large ballbearing for turning, can wear allowing camber changes.

Suffice to say if the car's wheels doesn't make loud thumping noises over a lot of bumps (some will be too much for even a good unit) and steering is reasonabley precise, then the struts are most likely OK.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Reply to
Gary Danaher

Have you tried "Sears" ? You can see what the Non-dealers charge.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Shouldn't make that much difference I would have thought.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

doubtful but made for a pretty harsh ride I bet. probably wears out the center of the tire too.

Reply to
ROBMURR