Switching to synthetic oil

My next oil change is at 47,000 miles, is it too late the switch my car = to synthetic oil, I know that there is a low limit of 5,000 miles but is = there a high limit?

Jack.

Reply to
Jack

Jack.

If your engine was properly maintained (is clean inside), then switching now wouldn't hurt anything except your wallet. If you're not going to keep the vehicle for like 250,000 miles +-, then I would not switch, and I would just keep having regular oil oil changes.

I've run my 2002 V-8 Tundra since the first oil change on Mobil1, and change it every 7,500 miles. I push the engine to get better breakin, and when I drain the oil it is almost as light colored as when it went in. Next oil change I will send out an oil sample to be tested, since color doesn't tell all.

Since I will likely keep the truck for awhile, I don't mind paying for the improved protection. And cold starts (it was below 10F this morning here) are almost like a summer start. In that alone your engine will suffer much less. That quick oil flow to the cylinder walls and bearings is just what the doctor ordered. And use a decent oil filter.

But again, if your going to dump the vehicle before it hits extremely high mileage, it frankly isn't worth the increased cost.

I use it because I push the engine and because I just think it is a better way to go overall for my brand of usage.

However, I ran a '90 Chevy Lumina van (3.1L V-6) to 149,000 with regular oil changes, using regular oil. The engine ticked flawlessly at tradein, and we dumped it because we were just tired of it (a noisy but reliable beast). So your main advantage might just be dependant upon your driving conditions, like alot of hot idling (or any extended idling for that matter), as well as cold starts, or infrequent oil changes. You gotta judge it, but if you are not a harsh vehicle user, or plan to trade "soon", then keep using dino juice and save your bucks for the new vehicle.

Reply to
Bob H

Reply to
Car Guy

It is never too late to switch, as long as your engine doesn't leak oil. Since good quality synthetics keep an engine cleaner than dino, it might be wise to use an engine flush first to avoid clogging the oil filter with whatever stuff the new oil will dislodge. OR, run one liter or quart of synthetic for a little while, dump the oil, and then make the complete switch. I bought a 93 Camry with 238,000 kilometers back in May. I immediatly switched to synthetic after doing an engine fush, with no problem at all. Does that answer your question?

JP

Jack.

Reply to
JP

$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

synthetic oil, I know that there is a low limit of 5,000 >miles but is there a high limit?

I bought a '91 Camry with 70,000 in '98 and immediately swithed to synthetic, haven't had a problem yet

Josh

Reply to
Joshua Smeltser

So what do you use??