Ticking sound 1998 Camry

My 1998 Camry has a tick that seems to come from driver's side front. It does not make the tick when cold but as it warms it starts. The tick sounds like a stone or nail caught in the tire tread (it's not, I checked). Can't hear it with the windows closed. Does not seem to have any affect on driveablity but it bugs me to no end. Thanks for any ideas about what this may be.

Reply to
Gary Denis

Noisy wheel bearing ?

Reply to
Justa Lurker

Sheet metal heat shield over exhaust manifold expanding? Try listening with hood up to prove or eliminate this as a cause.

Reply to
John M. Darnielle

Noise when the car stopped? Like others said, it could be a loose heat shield.

Noise when moving only? Then check the drive shaft and wheel bearing. (A worn inner joint can make a noise very similar to a worn bearing. So you need to verify which.)

"Because many drivel> My 1998 Camry has a tick that seems to come from driver's side front. It

Reply to
johngdole

The ticking noise only happens when rolling and then only after it has gotten warm. It is heard easily when driving with window down and cars or buildings close by. I am concerned its drive train but was hoping for another, less expensive solution. BTW: I have 156K on the Camry.

Reply to
Gary Denis

Try pressing the brake pedal lightly,..if it stops, try useing the handbrake. If it doesnt stop, it could be a bit of brake-pad clicking in its mounts due to rotor run-out, or the rears if handbrake stops it. Otherwise, check the CV boots are intact. Worn CVs can exhibit a click as the steel balls move in their track. Uusually when they are worn.

Otherwise, examine the tire treads for shale in tread etc.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James