1974 144: ticking noise from the front driver's side wheel

Now that summer is here and I ride with the windows down (nature's a/c) I've notice a speed sensative ticking noise coming from the front driver's side wheel area? Bushings? Bearings? Where do I start? I already checked and there aren't any rocks or nails in the tire tread. It couldn't be that easy!

Reply to
b4_ford

screw or nail stuck in the tyre???

its an old favourite.......

Reply to
aa

To quote myself, "I already checked and there aren't any rocks or nails in the tire tread. It couldn't be that easy!" Any other suggestions?

Reply to
b4_ford

jack up the car and give the wheel a spin, and proceed from there

Reply to
m-gineering

its an old favourite....... To quote myself, "I already checked and there aren't any rocks or nails in the tire tread. It couldn't be that easy!" Any other suggestions?

Does the noise occur only in straight line or if you go serpentine, does the noise continue on both left and right hand turning? note and continue: Put the car on a lift or jack and spin the wheel by hand?

if the noise goes away, then there is something in the road contact surface OR the problem may be weight sensitive? If the noise is still there, then I think you might inspect and therefore repack the bearings?

I think you need to try the drive procedure and also lift the front corner and manuualy spin. Then analyse the results. And while you have the wheel up and spinning, take another look for something in the tread unless the noise is still presnt.

--------------070506040406070602090301--

Reply to
v70xcREMOVE

Does it sound metallic? If not the bearings, possibly the rim and/or mounting hardware. Check the rim, especially around the lug nuts (or bolts for cracks. I should have asked if it is a rapid tick, i. e. once per revolution (or thereabouts) or slower?

Reply to
Dlee