Timing Belt?

I was just on my way to work this morning and the car died. I had been putting off replacing the timing belt and it might have come back to bight me. I am about 5000 overdue for a change. Anyway, the car died but it will still turn over and everything. If you were to do a cursory glance everything in the engine compartment looks ok and checks out but it just wont start. Is this a broken timing belt or something else?

Reply to
igons54

Take off the oil filler cap. You may be able to see the cam shaft. See if it turns when someone tries to start the car. Otherwise, take off the distributor cap (if you have one) and do the experiment. Take off the timing belt inspection plug (if one exists), do the experiment.

It would help if you told us the year of your car. They've been making these things since the early 80's ... lots of variations over the years.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

By the way it's a 94 4 cyl. so as I understand it it should be a non-interference belt right?

Reply to
igons54

Odds are it is the timing belt! If that is all that is needed it should cost you a tow and about $300-$400 at the dealership. You may want to get your drive belts change if you have not done so lately. The dealer should only charge you for the cost of the drive belts.

Reply to
proudpop

It's probably the timing belt, but it may not be broken. As I recall (this was years ago, so don't quote me, but) my daughter's 86 Camry 4 cyl. wouldn't start in our driveway one day, and after getting a tow to the Toyota dealer, we found that the belt has ridges or cogs in it, and without breaking, the belt had a couple of the ridges sheared off, making it impossible to turn when the crankshaft turned. Whatever the cause or the condition of the belt, that's the first place I'd look. When you get the belt replaced, it's said to be a good idea to replace the water pump, since the engine is already unbuttoned. It's possible otherwise to pay for all the labor to get to the timing belt, and then have the water pump start malfunction, (like leaking) a few thousand miiles later, and then you have to pay for the labor all over again.

Reply to
mack