1998 Camry Timing Belt / Chain

120,000 miles. Is it due or ever due on this car?

Had one go on my 1988 Camry a few years back and would like to avoid that problem this time around.

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Joe

If you go to Toyota's FAQ site,

and searchfor "timing belt", you will get a listing of all of US Toyotas andwhether they have a timing belt or chain under "Timing Belt and TimingChain."

Model Year Engine Belt/Chain/Gear Camry 1990-2001 All Belt Camry 2002-2007 4 Cylinder Chain Camry 1990-2006 V6 Belt Camry 2007 V6 Chain Camry Hybrid 2007 4 Cylinder Chain

By the looks of it, 1998 Camrys has a timing belt. According to the other FAQ article under "Timing Belt Maintenance," it should be inspected at every 60,000 miles/4 year intervals (whatever comes first), and then rechecked every 15,000 miles thereafter and replaced as necessary, but that some owners find it simpler to just replace the timing belt every 60,000 miles because of the cost of inspection is close enough to replacement...

(If you had a timing chain, there is no prescribed replacement interval.)

Reply to
mrv

Timing belt on the 1998 Camry I4 is scheduled for replacement at 90,000 Miles. (Don't let the dealer tell you it is 60,000 as they tried to tell me - I showed them the maintenance schedule and they said something like "oh yeah".) Anyway, if you've got 120,000 and it wasn't done, it is due.

Reply to
David In NH

Thank you for the answers.

I guess I'm due for a timing belt. :)

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Joe

The entire scheduled maintenance guides used to be available for download from:

now you can only get each individual service interval one at atime...

Reply to
mrv

I recently had the timing belt replaced on my 98 camry with 63,000 miles. From the looks of the old belt, it had probably another 20 -

30 thousand miles left >120,000 miles. Is it due or ever due on this car?
Reply to
Jim

Don't forget to change your water pump with the belt.

Also, I leave this up to you, I've noticed that on my Camry 2.2 and others about this time(100.000 mi) the oil pump seal starts to leak. It's a rubber seal and just gets dried out. You could buy a 'Crank seal kit' for not much money and just have it when you tear it down just in case and take it back if you don't need it.

PS- You wouldn't need everything in the kit just the large o-ring

Reply to
motoron

Some belts will show signs of wear by 50K miles and the cam seals will start to seep oil. You'll notice brown rubber powder under the cover and some glazing on the back of the belt. That's with a Toyota OEM Mitsuboshi T belt.

Timing belts do stretch a little over time. So I'd recommended changing it at 5yr/60K miles (the last years were spec'ed for 90K miles) if you do your own work.

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
Arkadiy Shimanovich