timing belt questions re '95 Camry V6

After 10 years and 66,000 miles it's about time, especially as one of the oil seals is leaking slowly.

From the Haynes and this newsgroup, the main hurdle

appears to be removal of the crankshaft pulley bolt.

Is it feasible to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt from above? (The Haynes manual shows a large breaker attached from below.) Is it safe to "wedge a large screwdriver ... into the ring gear teeth"? Is there a safer technique to hold the ring gear?

Also the Haynes says to remove the spark plugs. Is spark plug removal necessary? Is the point of removal only to facilitate manual crank positioning?

Thanks, Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

Don't know. But usually you don't have enough room to swing a breaker bar from above.

That's the standard technique. Unless you want to make a pulley holder. Toyota has an SST for this, but I made one out of flat steel stock.

Only to help crank positioning. But since you have to rotate the engine a few times to 'seat' the belt, having the plugs out helps. With the 6, maybe you can leave in those problematic ones in the back in place.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

Re my spark plug question, Bill at Mike Calvert Toyota in Houston

kindly emailed me the officialToyota timing belt procedure as a .pdf file. The Toyota proceduredoes not mention spark plugs at all. So I won't touch them. To say thanks -- and save money -- I'm buying three belts (timing, a/c, steering) from Bill.

-Gordon

Reply to
Gordon