Timing ? CAMRY 4

Hi guys.

There has been some real interesting topics on here of late. Let me ask another.

1995 CAMRY 4..bought new.. Just 98K miles came up yesterday.

Gas/petrol is now circa GB£4.50 a gallon 4.5 litres. So that's Circa just over US$7 a gallon. So any increase in efficiency from the engine is worth while.

I maintain the car ok Oil changes 5000 mile with GTX Magnatec. Auto box at 20k intervals with Dexrion II.

Reading one of the last topics about using Mobil1 synthetic in the auto box..Is that a reasonable move now for me to. ?

I had my Cam belt changed at 62K. So the timing would be set up again then. So its 36K miles since any timing was checked. The engine does sound a little more noisy now if I work it up the rev band than when newer but always starts on the button every time.

Do these systems change much now to need the static timing reset. I don't really want to buy a strobe but Toyota want minimum one hour to check and reset. The charge close on GB£90 an hours..

Comments please.

Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

If you want to get high fuel efficiency, it sounds like you need to change your driving style. 'Working it up the rev band' is costing you more in fuel than is friction in the engine or slight variations in engine timing. This engine thrives - and sips fuel sparingly - when run gently.

Reply to
Leftie

I used to use Mobil 5-30 and now use 0-30 M1, I notice a difference. Timing shouldnt change in 35000, mine didnt change until the belt was real old but checking timing is easy to do and you dont know for sure it was ever done exactly, When my timing was retarded 3 degrees, on an old stretched belt with maybe 70000 on it, I had a major loss in power and 3-4 mpg loss. You can advance until there is nock but hearing any is not easy, I go 1/2 degree further and have been safe. Noise is likely wear from age and hard driving.

Reply to
ransley

Hi there,

I think you kind of misunderstood my "up the rev band comment " I just meant while over taking or indeed general use. Not just flooring the pedal for the hell of it lol.

I have had the car near 14 years now it has been well looked after in that time.

My fuel returns if I am on longish runs here which are 450 mile return trips . Come in around 34/35 mpg. But motorway traffic here does run at 70/80 mph in most cases. Around town maybe 24/25 mpg.

So I am not a boy racer lol ( I am just on 76 years now )

Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

I used to use Mobil 5-30 and now use 0-30 M1, I notice a difference. Timing shouldnt change in 35000, mine didnt change until the belt was real old but checking timing is easy to do and you dont know for sure it was ever done exactly, When my timing was retarded 3 degrees, on an old stretched belt with maybe 70000 on it, I had a major loss in power and 3-4 mpg loss. You can advance until there is nock but hearing any is not easy, I go 1/2 degree further and have been safe. Noise is likely wear from age and hard driving.

Hi,

Its never been driven hard really. More average use. On the point of it not been set up correctly when the belt was changed. I seem to have less faith in folk doing jobs for me now. It seems there is less and less pride in doing a GOOD JOB these days. And I don't think main dealers are any better.

I realise its easy checked but I did not feel like spending an a Timing strobe for just the occasionally time I may need it.

But all comments absorbed Thanks

look at my web page.

That's what I do in retirement,

Johnny UK

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

Trying to squeeze more miles out of an already economical engine is like trying to up the hp on an already high hp engine. It can be done but it gets expensive, if you are getting over 30/mpg highway that's pretty good. Advancing the timing may add a little bit, but varying qualities of fuel can lead to possible engine knock. Anyone remember the octane selector on the old Toyotas? There was a little knob on the distributer and you could turn to bump the timing forward or backwards. I changed my timing belt less than a 1,000 miles ago and I didn't notice a bit of difference between the new and the old.

Reply to
FatMoe

Understood. Are you calculating using the larger Imperial gallons? If so, you might want to consider that I get the same economy figures with the smaller American gallons...

Reply to
Leftie