To Buy, or not To Buy...

I am thinking about getting a Toyota Camry, '91 with about 48000 miles on it. It has a 4 cylinder engine, and has been cared for perfectly... (been hosed off before being put into the garage, you could eat off the garage floor, oil changed to the book, etc). It also has brand new tires on the rear. How much would this car be worth, and are there any odd problems about the 91 camry that I should keep in mind when buying it? Thanks

DH

Reply to
DH

In news:5f6xb.12624$ snipped-for-privacy@news.randori.com, DH being of bellicose mind posted:

EVERYTHING rubber (engine and transmission seals, belts, cam belt, hoses, moldings, steering rack bellows, tires, etc), radiator & water pump leaks, electrical grounds, battery, brake fluid, brake hydraulic hoses, caliper and wheel cylinder leaks. And then there's the usual stuff. It's a 12 year old car. Things rot.

Reply to
Philip®

Definitely check out everything Philip lists above. If it has AC, check that, too.

We've got a '91 Camry with 135,000 miles on it. Was in Ohio for the first eight years (think road salt, hot summers, cold winters) and has been in the Seattle area for the last four years. Meticulously maintained, never required major unexpected repair--just the usual fluids, brakes, halfshafts, belts, hoses, timing belt at 60,000 and

120,000 (water pump changed with second timing belt.)

The power attenna is shot, the driver's side automatic seat belt (which I loathe) makes noise as it moves along its track; there's a little puff of smoke on startup, but it uses almost no oil. It's still going strong.

The car you're considering could have a lot of miles left in it...but it's still an almost thirteen year old car, with no airbags, no antilock brakes...even in near-perfect condition, don't pay too much for something that old. Prices vary widely depending upon location--what part of the world are you in?

Hope this perspective helps.

Bob J.

Reply to
Bob J.

Thanks for the replys, The car is located in Northern Indiana, so I suppose the salt may have gotten to it. I was just wondering if the '91 year has any peculiaritys that I should know about first.

DH

Reply to
DH

I'd look at replacing the other two tires real quick too - Driving around on

13 year old tires is not smart - 5-7 years and the rubber simply deteriorates and cracks (usually at high speeds when it has heated up a bit). Its a grat year - no problems with that or any year .
Reply to
Wolfgang