89 camry, no spark, ignitor fault ? Haynes schematic inadequate

I find no indication the ignitor is driving the coil -- I put an oscilloscope on the ignitor output/coil- and see no pulses when the car is cranked (the distributor shaft spins). Coil and pickup coil measure OK & I have +12 to coil+ . The Haynes manual shows the pickup coil wired (2 wires)directly to the ignitor but I don't find that to be true (I find no continuity between any pickup coil connector contact and the ignitor). And the pickup coil has three leads -- apparently center tapped. Also the wire colors in the Haynes manual don't match actual wiring.

I'm thinking the pickup coil must drive other circuitry (computer ?) which then drives the ignitor. (?) I should also mention if I short the coil- to ground I do get some spark from the secondary -- not real hot.

If anyone has a FACTORY service manual or schematics I'd appreciate some advice. I really suspected the ignitor but without finding a connection from the pickup coil to the ignitor I'm suspicous it could be elsewhere.

Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66

Are you sure your timing belt is ok, is dist rotor rotating when you crank the engine. If the dist rotor is not turning, then the pickup coil in dist will not send a signal to igniter to fire the coil. Could be a problem with distributor. Suggest going to library and look for factory service manual or buy one from toyota. I think they are around $40-60. jim

Reply to
jjjsan

Tnx, but I mentioned in the first paragraph that the distributor shaft was spinning. Yes, I'd like to find a factory service manual but am reluctant to spend that much money for one for an old car without certainty the manual would enable me to find the problem. Happy trails, Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Tnx for Asking Alex. Not too well. I've been working on it off & on and today tried to check trouble codes and discovered the "Check Engine" light NEVER comes on (and didn't recall if it ever came on in the past). I suspected the lamp and managed to get the instrument cluster out but the bulb was OK and PWB continuity OK. This lead me to suspect a computer problem. But, also, I am unable to find a connection to ground at any contact on the harness connector that mates with the ignitor module. (I can find cont to the coil+/+12 and also to the coil- ). I can't see how the ignitor can possibly drive the coil without a ground return. (The Haynes maual shows a ground wire (they show white) but I don't know that I can trust the manual especially since the actual white wire from the ignitor mates with a red ( I recall ) on the harness. I think it's possible a bad ground may be the root of the problem but have no idea where it is located. I hesitate to try a jumper to ground without know which conductor it is. I posted this info on another post this afternoon. Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

I have the same problem as jimhigh has explained and i have checked the resistance between: NE and G- it was 160 ohms but it was no resistance between: NE and G1, should there be so??

Reply to
corolla_ke20

I measure 340 ohms from NE -> G " 170 " " NE -> G- " 170 " " G -> G- This leads me to believe the coil is center-tapped which would make sense if a differential signal is required. If your car is exactly the same as mine then the no resistance measurement is suspicious. Check it again to make sure. Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66

Now I Have taken apart the whole distributor.. the ignition coil seems to be ok .but there is no resistance between g and g-. perhaps this is the problem? according to the haines manual it should be 140-180 ohms. is it possible to buy only the pickup coil???

Reply to
corolla_ke20

Re buying the coil only: Try calling some auto parts stores -- they should be able to see if it's available. In my area the clerks usually try to be helpful and if they have the coil and it's in a box rather than a blister pack I'd take the old coil and your ohmmeter and see if they'll let you compare the new coil to the old. (I usually bring the old part in anway just to compare them to make sure they've got the right part.) I hope you marked the position of the distributor mounting and position of the rotor, and haven't rotated the engine since. good luck & let me know -- Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66