Transmission Failure?

Have a Toyota Camry 1993. The vehicles starts fine. Goes upto a distance of around 1 mile and then the gear disengages. The engine does not stop but the vehicle does not move further. Can see the RPM meter moving with acceleration but the vehicle does not move. Stop the engine wait for a few minutes and start again. It goes one more mile. Any clues?

Thanks in anticipation.

Shirish

Reply to
<slele

In news:h83Lb.26715$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com, snipped-for-privacy@mn.rr.com being of bellicose mind posted:

Have you bothered to check the transmission fluid ... with the engine RUNNING?

Reply to
Philip®

Incredibly, my Avalon owner's manual does not describe how to check the AT fluid. As if they expect the dealer to do it when you bring the car in for an oil change. Fat chance at my dealer.

engine

Reply to
Art Begun

Not with the engine running. Anything specific I need to check? I did check it after it had stalled. Appears a little blackish.

Thanks

Reply to
<slele

Not with the engine running. Anything specific I need to check? I did check it after it had stalled. Appears a little blackish. Levels look fine.

Thanks Shirish

Reply to
<slele

When you pull out the dipstick and read the print thereon, you'll notice a mention of "Idling in Park (or Neutral)" That the fluid is blackish suggests (A) it's been in there TOO long and possibly (B) that clutch / band slippage is present meaning you are about to spend a wad of money on a transmission overhaul. So.... check the fluid while idling in Park and be sure the level is at the full line. If this cures the problem, fine. If so, get the fluid flushed as it's WAY over due. If not, then head for your favorite transmission shop or dealership. Good luck

Reply to
Philip®

When's the last time you changed your transmission fluid? How many miles on the car? I'm betting it wasn't every 15-25k miles. Somebody named Shirish probably doesn't take great car of his car.

Reply to
Max

...and I'd suggest getting the 'full system fluid flush'. The $29 type fluid change only replaces a portion of the fluid. The full system flush (or whatever they call it in your area) will cost you around $80 - however it gets all the old fluid out.

I've seen two ways of the shops doing this flush. One involves connecting the two flush hoses into a tranny coolant line near the radiator - the other involves dropping the tranny pan and connecting the flush hoses to ... some place underneath the tranny. Both shops claimed 'their way' was bettter. Who knows which shop was right....