Chevy Silverado PU 5.3 liter engine question

Truck has 100,000, never a problem. First warm day yesterday in Oregon. Stop at Safeway and 15 minutes later the truck does not start. Turn the key, engine spins and within less than a second it catches BUT does not keep running. (This truck always starts in less than a second!!). Repeat 10 more times. No luck. Call for tow truck. Wait 30 minutes. Right before tow truck arrives I try one more time and engine starts right up.

I know (maybe I'm wrong) that vapor lock is not likely in a fuel injected engine. What gives? Why would waiting 30 minutes make any difference? BTW, dash lights are all normal and truck is full of gas.

Any ideas? Don't want my wife getting stuck next time she goes to Safeway.

Are there error codes stored even if the 'check engine' light is NOT on?

Thanks for all advice.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

maybe start with a fuel pressure test.

Reply to
boxing

Did you get fuel at the Safeway?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Okay, just paid $ 120 to have my codes read and reset. Code PO463C. This is supposed to relate to "fuel level". Well, the fuel gage has been behaving erratically for about a year now. Whenever we fill up, the gage swings between full and empty (with the low fuel light coming on) until we use up a half a tank. From that point to empty, it reads correctly. My tech says that the constant on/off of the low fuel signal is screwing up the computer. He reset it.

About a year ago, somewhere on the web, I read that ARCO gas causes bad readings in GM vehicles. I happen to use ARCO gas. Could be just gossip. However, the next 5-6 tanskful will not be ARCO.

Any ideas?

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

The problem is that the additive that Arco had in their fuel coated the resistor and made it erratic.

Does it run OK now or are you still down? If you are still having problems and just filled up at that station it is possible you got some bad fuel. Especially if they just had the tanks filled. Could have stirred up water/dirt and plugged the fuel filter or the sock on the pump. Happens a LOT. I would run a pressure test. Then change the filter. While you have the filter off run a small line into a glass jar from the fuel line. Hit the key long enough to give you a couple inches of gas in the jar. Then let it set for a couple minutes. Look at it real close and see if there is water/dirt in the tank. If there is you have a couple options. I would contact the station if you do find water/dirt, many of them have policies in place if you get a bad tank. (some just say "tough shit" but others stand by their product) If they will work with you I would have the tank dropped, cleaned out and the fuel pump/sender unit replaced. Solves both problems at once.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks Steve!! Yes the car runs fine now. And, yes, we did just have a fill up and have only put 30 miles on the car when it happened. My tech did pull up another code. P1631C. "Oxygen sensor # 1 slow response, or anti-theft password incorrect." He said he cleaned my key and lubricated the ignition switch. I had no idea that a car as old as 2000 would have an anti-theft sensor built into the ignition system. Tech claims that this prevents people from starting truck with cheater key or screwdriver.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Could well be, if your computer has some code to shut the fuel pump down if the fuel is too low.

Bad readings?

Change the tank sender.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Not a valid code for that model.

Bingo! There's the no start. Had nothing to do with the warm spell, the gas you bought or where you stopped for beer.

Worthless waste of time.

GM has been doing that on their trucks since the mid 90s.

True.

Did he offer anything useful so you don't get stranded again? (because I think you will)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
philthy