Valve oil seals

I have an 88 Camry (3SFE 4 Cyl) that has been sitting in my yard for about a year. Due to the price of gas, I have decided to put it on the road as a main vehicle. Before it was taken off the road, it would create a puff of blue smoke at startup, then it would go away. My first question is, Am I correct in assuming that the oil seals on my valves need to be replaced? Also, is there a way of replacing these seals without removing the entire head?

Thanks for your help in advance! Phill Soares

Reply to
pjs101974

Its normal ,mine does it with 5-30 mobil1 but i dont use more than a quart in 4000m, If i use 10-30 it stops.

But look at it this way it lubes the cilinder on startup, the most critical time , when its dry , and most wear occurs and all for free. Worry when you smoke all the time or consumption goes way up.

Reply to
m Ransley

Yes your are correct .... but this sort of thing is NOT a reason to park the car. Track oil consumption. When consumption is down around 1500 miles per quart, THEN you've got a concern.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

You might also consider changing the PCV valve. That has cured smoke at startup for me once.

Reply to
badgolferman

If memory serves (our 88 Camry 4 cyl), it doesn't have a PCV valve.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-this.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Thanks for your help guys!

Reply to