vibration or "flutter" at highway speed

Hello. I have a 2001 Camry LE. I am having a problem with a vibration that starts at about 50 miles per hour. It is more like the whole car kind of shakes. I had the tires replaced, then balanced twice. It really feels like a wheel balance issue. The steering wheel doesn't really vibrate, it is more like the whole car is on a vibrating table. If there is a bias, I would say it feels like it comes more from the rear of the car. The vibration can be seen in the passenger side seat back when no one is sitting in it.

Any ideas of what else this could be? Could the rear drums be out of balance? Bent spindle in the rear?

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
ELINN

I hate to bring up this suspicion, but it could be the frame alignment. I see a fair number of cars with misaligned frames (front axle is left or right from the rear axle alignment). I'd get that checked at a place that can do it--it's kinda rare.

You'll see examples of this if you keep a close eye on the rear to front view when on a freeway with a vehicle about 100 feet ahead of you so you can sight from the rear tire edge to the front. Many are off and some are amazingly messed up--quite obviously a few inches askew.

Reply to
Big Kahuna

I had the front end aligned, but I don't think they checked for frame alignment. I will have it checked out.

If it turns out not to be the frame alignment is there anything else you think it could be?

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
ELINN

It could be a bad tire get a Road force balance done. Belts can be bad and un noticeable even with the tire off [ mine were] Road force is a special machine. Or rotate tires to the front if the shake changes it is the tires. A good tire shop would be your best first stop

Reply to
m Ransley

Find a shop that has a Hunter GSP9700 Roadforce wheel balancer. We have one at my shop, and its great. People come in all the time who have done a lap around DC going to different shops to have an imbalance corrected, and after that machine gets ahold of it the problem is solved (or at least found). The thing that is good about the 9700 is that it has the ability to tell the tech (if he know how to use it) where the imbalance lies (the tire ir the rim) and what has to be done to correct it (re-balance or replacement of a component). Go to hunterengineering.com to find a shop in your area.

Reply to
qslim

could it be the weights on the rims?

Reply to
skewe

Thanks guys. Qslim, where is your shop? I live near DC.

Reply to
ELINN

Ill send you an email at the address you have up here.

Reply to
qslim